New Quizzes should not *automatically* grade written responses

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Any questions that teachers have to manually grade (essay, short answer) are automatically calculated as zeros in Quizzes.Next. There are 2 major issues with this:

1. Student's grades are completely inaccurate until the teacher grades them. This can cause serious issues like suspension from a sports team due to grades, consequences at home, and unneeded anxiety and stress. Yes, I can mute the assignment so they don't see that grade at home, but administrators who are determining eligibility see it as part of the average. 

2. Because Quizzes.Next considers this question already graded, as a teacher, I have no way of telling which responses I have graded and which I have not.  In the old Quiz system, it shows a document symbol in the gradebook and a little orange dot next to their name in Speedgrader to show that these questions still need to be graded.  When you are look at a specific student's quiz in Speed grader, it tells you what still needs to be graded, but still shows a check next to their name in the list, so you have to scroll through every student to see if it has been graded. With hundreds of students turning in assignments at different times this is not helpful.

Considering the old version has this, this is something that should have been fixed before it ever came out of Beta. It is a serious glitch in how Quizzes.Next interacts with the Canvas Gradebook. 

61 Comments
kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes, thankfully the student view does show that items need grading.  Right now I see that:

• The Quizzes.Next quizzes do not appear in the instructor ToDo list when questions need manually graded.  
  • When the instructor views grading columns in the Grades page they look fully graded.
  • When the instructor views the student list within Speedgrader, they look fully graded.

The only way for the instructor or TA to know that questions need manually graded is to manually review each speedgrader item for all students until they are fully graded.  For instructors that take over existing courses or TAs they may not know which quizzes have questions needing manual grades so it's a lot of extra work.  

Student View and the details page for each quiz in Speedgrader correctly reflect they are not yet graded though. So the most important view (students) is there. 

310007_ToGrade.png

Melanie

jennifer_files
Community Explorer

It would be nice to have essay questions that are ungraded to be marked as such in the Speedgrader until they are assigned points by the instructor. In the old Quiz feature ungraded tests (that had essay questions) were given an orange dot until they were reviewed and assigned points by the instructor. After being graded they were marked with a green check. As an instructor I was able to see the ones that had been reviewed and the ones that had not. This was especially beneficial when I had to leave in the middle of grading and come back later. I could see precisely which student I left off on. This would make life easier for teachers

jennifer_files
Community Explorer

I agree totally, not having this in Quizzes.Next makes it harder.

juliekaras
Community Explorer

I agree with this.

Thought I would post my little hack for this so that our trainers can clearly see which ones need marking and which ones have already been marked but need a retake. This would be visible in the Grades/Marks section of the course.

I created a grading scheme specifically for my quizzes.next essay type assessments - our short answer response assessments. There is a flaw in that if a student doesn't get any questions correct when a trainer marks it that it will still say awaiting marking in the grades section but this hasn't happened as yet thankfully! I guess you can weigh up if that is likely with your students or not.

But it may assist your trainers... 🙂

Quizzes Next Essay Grading Scheme

315711_Grades - awaiting marking.PNG

kroeninm
Community Champion

Well done, I can see this working in some cases.  Brilliant!!!

Melanie

rmurchshafer
Community Champion

@juliekaras ‌ Thanks for posting the grade scale idea; this will be helpful especially for long running courses where a quiz may get taken and need grading over the course of several months and years.  It's very annoying that Quizzes.NEXT submissions do not show up in a teachers To Do list when something needs to be graded, and more annoying that the product manager stated in posts that it may never be since Q.Next was developed as an LTI tool instead of directly in Canvas.  I think this is a major oversight when it was decided to create this tool.  

Rick

kassiea_calvo
Community Novice

Considering the old version has this, this is something that should have been fixed before it ever came out of Beta. It is a serious glitch in how Quizzes.Next interacts with the Canvas Gradebook. 

Could not agree more with this. Please fix this! 

jennifer_files
Community Explorer

Do you know if this will be fixed any time soon?

kroeninm
Community Champion

It's tied to the way LTI works, none of the 3rd party tools that I know of can tie into the Todo / reminder / grading list but hopefully it's something on Canvas's roadmap as it's a pretty large issue when you use essay questions and have large enrollment classes which I know many institutions have.  

I haven't heard of any upcoming fixes though yet  @jennifer_files ‌ but it's definitely on my top 5 list of things needed before we do any large migration/implementation...

Melanie

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Yes please, we need this. Too many student are alarmed when it looks like they did horrible on a test because things appear to be graded when they haven't been yet.