New RCE: Bring Back Old Way of Uploading Files to Pages

0 Likes
(7)

It used to be that when you were editing a page, you could simultaneously upload a new file, link to it, and put the file in the folder where you wanted it. Now you have to either upload the files in advance (if you use the link tool) or move it into a more logical folder afterwards (if you use the add doc tool). This is a step backwards. Please bring back the ability to upload a new file, link to it, and put the file in the correct folder all in one step when editing a page.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

debbie_johnson1
Community Explorer

This would help to keep files organized in the proper folders. It creates  more work to stop what you are working on to upload the file or image and then return to the creation of content. The old way was much more time efficient when creating content.

theotherdy
Community Participant

The New Rich Content Editor has removed the functionality to specify the destination folder when choosing to 'Upload Document'. Instead files are added to a general dumping ground 'Uploaded media'. For courses with a large number of uploaded files that they wish to keep well-organised, this will introduce a considerable added administrative burden, Please bring it back.

adam_marshall
Community Explorer

People are complaining about the removal of a very useful feature. Bit of an own goal by Instructure here I think.

and-hu
Community Participant

Now that the New RCE has been forced upon us, this change severely interrupts my workflow. It was very easy before to go straight to the page and upload slides, solutions, handouts and put them in logically-organized folders. With the New RCE, one now has to go to Files first. But I suppose Canvas thinks folders in the Files section are superfluous, since they ALSO got rid of them when trying to link files in the RCE...I hate this LMS so much. It's so incredibly bland and ham-fisted when trying to do anything, that there are now whole companies whose sole purpose is to try to help users wrangle Canvas into something that isn't a drudge to use. 

Edit: I see if you change the dropdown from "Documents" to "All", that the folder structure returns. Yet more and more clicks...😪

SteveBurholt
Community Member

Understand it's not easy to create a simple interface whilst still offering multiple ways to do things. However it does seem like a step backward. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Agree with comments above. This functionality is required to manage courses with many files, and it is also known behaviour in most other platforms. I vote for this to sorted asap.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.