New RCE and Images

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Using the current RCE, a designer is able to upload an image and resize it using the transform controls.  We are currently being introduced to the new RCE.  Within this interface, when we upload an image, the image populates very small.  One is required to click on the image to have "Options" appear.  Once you click into options, you would have to choose "Custom" and insert your desired dimensions.  This additional step slows the design process down immensely, especially if you need to see how the image looks within the design (not as an independent png).  You have to spend your time "playing numbers" if you don't know the explicit dimensions you need.  PLEASE consider allowing sizing with transform controls to be integrated into the new RCE.  For designers that work with a lot of images, the process becomes bulky and inefficient.

9 Comments
browncarolyn
Community Novice

Students don't find the resize options. My students hand in a lot of pictures and it would be better if the default was full size or at least large, instead of 320px. 

eschiebel
Instructure
Instructure

You can blame me... I'm the engineer that did this. Full size can be a problem because most photographs are extremely large, and embedding them in the RCE makes it quite unwieldy. Debra, what do you mean by "transform controls"? On embedding an image, it gets drag handles on each corner you can use to resize the image with the mouse without having to go to the Image Options tray. Clicking on the image will also give you the drag handles for resizing.

If 320px wide along the long side of the image is too small, I'm happy to make it larger. 400 or 640 along the long side map to the canned Large and Extra Large sizes. Would one of those work?

browncarolyn
Community Novice

640 would be a lot better than 320. TY

eschiebel
Instructure
Instructure

I reverted the image sizing behavior to how it was handled in the legacy RCE.

On adding an image it will be its natural size, only constrained to be no more that the width of the RCE.  You will still be able to resize it through the Image Options tray or dragging the handles on the corners.

This should be in the next canvas deploy.

Thank you for the feedback.

dwright3
Community Novice

Hi Edward, thank you for responding!  Drag handles and transform controls are synonymous (depends on the platform), sorry for the confusion.  When the initial change was made, I nor my colleagues saw the drag handles. However, after I initially created this post, they showed back up. Thank you so much for adding them back. At first, we were forced to play around in the editor to get the appropriate size, making work flow a little clunky.  A lot of the changes in the newer version help one thing, but hurt other things.  For instance, initially, when working in the text window, the tool bar was static and traveled with scrolling, now we are forced to keep scrolling back and forth.  This also goes for toggling between html and RTE, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom when working in the text window.  Also, you could add multiple link tags at the same time, now they have to be created separately.

I really appreciate you monitoring this forum.  

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to  @eschiebel ‌ for making this change! It's now in the beta environment: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26933-canvas-deploy-notes-2020-07-01 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed