cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Rich Content Editor: Open Links in New Window

New Rich Content Editor: Open Links in New Window

(26)

In the old RCE, we can create links that open in new window by pressing CTRL+K on our keyboard.

This functionality is removed in the new RCE.

Would like to propose a simple improvement to the Links Option sidebar to add this functionality.

340212_pastedImage_2.jpg

15 Comments
Learner II

Hi all,

Today, I discovered a way to add external links using the Rich Text Editor.

340389_pastedImage_1.jpg

The new editor has changed the usual workflow of doing things!

Community Team
Community Team

daniel.tanck@pathlight.org.sg, you are correct: the new design of the RCE brings with it new user workflows. We've placed this idea into Moderation to ask if you would still like it to move forward as a request for modification to the current design of creating external links. Thanks.

Learner II

hi stefaniesanders

I gave some thoughts and propose to proceed with this idea, please. 

The new workflow is a replacement for Ctrl+K in the new RCE. 

However, some of the Instructional Designers may wish to convert an existing link into an external link or vice versa. 

Having a checkbox in the link options will help us greatly as an existing visual indicator and ease of changing the link settings. 

If the link is an external link, the checkbox will be toggled on. Else, the checkbox will be toggled off. 

Community Team
Community Team

Sounds good, daniel.tanck@pathlight.org.sg‌; the idea is once again open for voting.

Surveyor II

The easy workaround would be to look at the HTML and simply set the target attribute to "_blank", the link will open in a new browser window or a new tab.

eg <a href=“...” target=“_blank” ...

almost as easy as a shortcut key. 

Learner II

We need this. Please give us this functionality back in the New RCE! While we can edit the HTML as a workaround, that's really time consuming. For instructors without HTML knowledge, that's also very daunting. 

It is easy if you know how to use the HTML editor, however, the majority of Canvas users do not, so we need this functionality back. It is very important for our institution to have the ability to keep students able to get back to the page they were working on easily (especially since there is often no easy way in Canvas to mark your place - every time students open Canvas it is a search to find where they were!)

Thank you! 

Explorer II

We would very muck like this feature, please bring it back!

Learner

Yes, PLEASE include an option to "open link in new window/tab".  I am liking the Enhanced RCE more because a major focus has been to reduce the number of clicks to get things done. And this would be one of them (CRTL+K or Link Options, check or uncheck box, Done). The alternative is to go into the HTML editor and tweak the code (that is a lot of clicks and typing). 

Learner

I'm all for this suggestion. We have teachers and designers that often use the 'Control-K' Link menu in the Classic RCE to select specific in-course resources to open in a new tab. The new RCE has come a long way, but I know some of our power users will be disappointed to lose this feature.

Isn't the Canvas New RCE an implementation of TinyMCE? TinyMCE's default link editor includes a "target" field. I wonder what led to the decision to remove that functionality?

TinyMCE Link Menu.png