New Rich Content Editor: Open Links in New Window

(42)

In the old RCE, we can create links that open in new window by pressing CTRL+K on our keyboard.

This functionality is removed in the new RCE.

Would like to propose a simple improvement to the Links Option sidebar to add this functionality.

340212_pastedImage_2.jpg

28 Comments
jayoder
Community Participant

I echo the previous comments for wanting this feature back in the RCE

taki_douramanis
Community Member

I can't believe this functionality has been removed. Now we need to go blind looking for the right location to paste HTML code, Save, and hope for the best.

garrett_william
Community Participant

Agreed. I like to use the Control+K option when making graphic user interface menus with images/buttons. I want our users to be able to click on an embedded internal link and open it in a new tab so that they can easily navigate back to the previous window/tab. This was a killer feature that often got people I trained to think about what other hidden tricks they could learn from Canvas. 

gmorris1
Community Participant

100% agree with everyone else!

Also, we used to be able to add custom buttons with a custom js file. 

It appears this no longer works.

We REALLY need this functionality back, too!

RuthSchafer
Community Member

Yes! Please give us the option to edit course links so that they will open in a new tab/window. I want to point out that if I add an external link, these already automatically open in a new window/tab. But that is not the case if I add a course link. Course links automatically take the person away from the current page and to the new page. 

This is a big problem for how I design my courses. I often give students a course link from within a quiz so that they can refer to a lecture page's content while they answer my questions. I want these links to open in a new tab/window so that the student does not navigate away from the main quiz. The only way I can ensure that the link will open in a new tab is to use the HTML editor and add the code target="_blank" right after the URL code for the course link. It is a pain to have to do this every time I want to add a course link. 

From reading the comments, it sounds like this is a feature that used to be available but was taken away when the RCE was updated a few years ago. Please bring this back.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

At the moment we use Cidilabs to access this functionality but would be good if it was just in the Canvas setup

garrett_william
Community Participant

Any more news on this idea? Its from 2020! We needs this added back, especially if its a part of the TinyMice set up.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!