[Courses] New UI: Add option to group courses in all course list by term

Issue: Right now when an instructor views the all courses list there is very few organizational option making it difficult for them to find the course that they need.

Current workaround: Brute force searching though a long list of courses

Purposed solution: Add a user option to group courses by term. If this option is selected courses will be grouped into terms in a manner similar to the modulus page (example bellow). These groups would also be collapsible like the modules.

119739_pastedImage_0.png119739_pastedImage_0.png

Why: By allowing more sorting options in the all course list, it will be easier for instructors to find the courses they need, this in turn will make the canvas site easier to navigate.

26 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission,  @ianjohnston . We wanted to call your attention to several archived ideas that were very similar and which were submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

• ​   

Because you can re-submit ideas (that have not had a definitive comment from Instructure), your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

admin_brake
Community Participant

This model for organization would be especially helpful for users who have Numerous courses Every semester,

which is Most All our Teachers!   😉

Yes, do this!

don_quick
Community Member

This is a very good idea. I would add one thing to it. Either reverse the order so that the latest is first or provide the capability of moving them around.

Don Q.

ianjohnston
Community Novice

Agreed, the photo there was just a quick mock up I did so not ideal in the details.

mpromislo
Community Explorer

This is a great idea and should absolutely be included in the UI.

pcraig
Community Novice

This is a great idea, so happy to see this!  We have a lot of faculty and staff that need to access past term courses and this would offer some great visual clarity to a long list of identically named courses.  Thanks for including a mockup of the UI.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

What do we need? We need ​.

When do we need it? Now!

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

There is some custom Javascript that  @kenneth_larsen ​ posted in comments of his InstructureCon presentation The Muse-k Man that talks about how to do this now.

ianjohnston
Community Novice

Thank you for pointing me to this I have implemented it in our site.