New UI: Create a template theme in the new UI

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

In the new UI, the theme can be changed in the theme editor under the Admin panel.  When changing the theme, it appears that it's only possible to edit the two currently available themes -- Canvas Default and K12 Theme.  It would be nice to be able to add new templates so that we are not modifying the Canvas Default theme.  It would keep our institution template separate from the Canvas Default template.  It would allow us to switch between templates that have already been set up in advance if we want (say for a school spirit month, or a holiday).

Also, it would be nice to be able to copy the attributes from one theme to another.  For example, the "Add a New Theme Template" is added to Canvas, it would be nice to copy the currently modified template (e.g. colors, logo, favicon) to a newly created template, so that we don't have to perform additional work on the new template.

Thanks for reading!

Tiffany

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-06-25)

12 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@tktaylor ​

Thank you for your submission.   I am moving your idea forward for voting in September.  If we hear back from product that your series of ideas need to be broken into separate ideas I will let you know and we'll have to edit your original idea and resubmit your add-on.

The one idea that does need to be separated out and resubmitted is

..the ability to create a template specific to a sub-account.  So the main account could have one template, then a sub-account could have another template.

I have removed that portion from your idea.  Please develop this idea and submit it at Canvas Feature Ideas​.

tktaylor
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

With regards to resubmitting the idea for different templates for sub-accounts, will I be able to refer to this idea in my post?

Thanks,

Tiffany

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

You sure can!  Just paste the URL from this idea in your new post as a reference!

tktaylor
Community Novice

Done!

Thanks Smiley Happy

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

137161_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-06-13)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The updated 'save a theme' feature, in beta, is not the 'template' tool suggested, however, it will support the functions described in this idea.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-7000#jive_content_id_Theme_Editor_New_Canvas_UI

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-06-25)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @tktaylor  for submitting this idea. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy