[Account Settings] New 'Color Overlay' feature should have a way to change default setting

With the new "Color Overlay" feature for course card images in this weeks Beta Release Notes, I think there should be a way to set the default behavior at an account level (edit: not subaccount level, since this really applies to users). The current default is to have the color overlay enabled, but I'd prefer the opposite behavior by default.  Rather than requesting to change the default, I think admins should have the ability to choose the default (enabled or disabled) for this feature.  I did mention this request in the release notes, and in the canvaslive beta release notes chat, and seemed to get some support.

Deactivated user‌laurakgibbs‌,  @kroeninm ‌,  @stuart_ryan ‌, Beta Release Notes (2017-05-01) Collaborative Chat 

52 Comments
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Power to the admins! I agree. 

Pinging my admin  @kevin1 ‌ to see what he thinks. 🙂

rconroy
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yes Please! I love the progress that has been made on course cards since its inception. The next step would be a Global Default to promote more uniformity instead JUST on a course by course basis. Smiley Happy (some instructors aren't allowed to touch content as this is dictated by our Curriculum Development Team)

This brings another interesting question. If a course card were to have an image on it on a master, would that same image be in place if you were to do course copy? (we do new courses on a monthly basis, so anything enacted would need to be duplicated with minimal effort) 

rconroy
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Update: It does! Hooray! 

232566_pastedImage_1.png

kroeninm
Community Champion

Makes sense, I can't see a user going to the trouble of looking for an overlay option and knowing that means and why they might want to change it Smiley Happy 

Using an account level option might be odd if the student is taking courses across accounts.  But an account level option when used properly would allow for consistency for users and for institutions to choose their preference as to whether the color option or the overlay is more important.

- Melanie

kevin1
Community Member

I would love to see this as an account-level option! I think this is a great idea.

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Great idea, I am a tad frustrated by the current implementation as the original idea which got so many votes was https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6521-remove-colour-overlay-from-course-cards-that-have-an-imag... (note 'remove', not 'remove at student option but leave there by default').

Will definitely get others to vote for this, please share far and wide

carmen_vallis
Community Novice

Agree, I'd like to see the overlay removed as default. Would be great to increase student control in other areas relevant to their learning (like being able to delete their chat entries for example), choosing the card display is not such a biggie, IMHO 

cm3644
Community Novice

Thanks for creating this idea, chriscas‌! Seems like an obvious setting in my mind, I expect votes to skyrocket Smiley Happy

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

I am hoping they will! I have already sent it round to the contacts I have at Australian Unis. Really rallying for this one.

victoria-maloy
Community Champion

As suggested by cms_hickss‌, I'm copying my comment on this feature here. (Although this seems a touch divergent from the original topic - the presence of the color overlay vs the selection of the color.)

I think a color overlay should remain firmly in the hands of the person who is looking at the calendar events.  Color blindness issues aside, the association of a color with a course seems to be intensely personal decision. (Does Biology mean red or green to you? Or is it blue because it starts with the letter b?) 

Thanks!

Vicky