[Account Settings] New 'Color Overlay' feature should have a way to change default setting

With the new "Color Overlay" feature for course card images in this weeks Beta Release Notes, I think there should be a way to set the default behavior at an account level (edit: not subaccount level, since this really applies to users). The current default is to have the color overlay enabled, but I'd prefer the opposite behavior by default.  Rather than requesting to change the default, I think admins should have the ability to choose the default (enabled or disabled) for this feature.  I did mention this request in the release notes, and in the canvaslive beta release notes chat, and seemed to get some support.

Deactivated user‌laurakgibbs‌,  @kroeninm ‌,  @stuart_ryan ‌, Beta Release Notes (2017-05-01) Collaborative Chat 

52 Comments
robert_spadoni
Community Novice

There seems to be more than one thread open that addresses this same concern, so the total number of votes for any one issue is not reflective of who's for or against it. My more serious point is that there is no justification for an instructor who uses an image on their course card *not* being able to turn off the color overlay *for all users of that course for just that card and none of their other cards.* The image will differentiate the card from the others in the user's interface, and the randomly applied overlay, which has no aesthetic or pedagogical value, will be gone, which will be a relief to those of us who teach, for example, cinema, and who would like images from black and white films to appear in black and white and not, for example, muddy green, and who would like to use an image film famous for its color (as I have done) not appear in some different color. I have not been able to get anyone at the developer on the phone and have been referred to this forum, even though there is no justification for this control not being implemented.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please remember that the "color overlay" is also the color a student picks for the text on the dashboard card which corresponds to the color of the calendar entries associated with that class.

sendres
Community Participant

Yes, this is worth noting. I have seen students use color coding to direct their attention, such as flagging "I'm currently getting an A" courses in green, "B" courses in yellow, and everything else in red. So having the color coding can be useful in several ways. I would just prefer that the color overlays be toggled on a course-by-course basis. If a course card image has been uploaded, restrict the color overlay to the ring around the course card settings icon; if no course card image has been uploaded, then fill the area with color.

krees
Community Member

Agreed. Has there been any update on this?

LVSNE01
Community Member

I want to be able to upload course-specific images that include logos for my courses.  The color overlay deters and makes it difficult to see the image.  An admin should be able to set the default to a clear overlay at the course level to start out with.  My students will never change the card overlay color and if they do at least they know what the image was when they started out.  The image I upload for each course will be more meaningful and easily recognizable for everyone in the course. 

Please add a setting when an image is uploaded at the course level to set the overlay color or clear at that time.  It will be updated when the blueprint is synced.  

jennifer_hibber
Community Participant

Could you change the color overlay for the course cards from default to opt in? I think they look terrible over top of the nice pictures chosen for the card to represent the course. The overlay makes them all look the same and when you have multiple cards on your dashboard, it makes it harder to find the one you are looking for. Most people do not realize this is something they can turn off.

jennifer_hibber
Community Participant

I don't seem to be able to rate this, but I am fully in support of this idea!

allison88
Community Participant

I would LOVE to see this feature! It would ensure consistency for all of our students and instructors.

blum2
Community Member

This would be a great option to be able to set the default for this feature from an account level.

mads2
Community Member

The default should be colour overlay off