New "Status" Category Request - REVISED

0 Likes
(6)

As a middle school science teacher, my students will turn in work samples that are aligned with outcomes.  After the work sample is assessed by me and added to grades (or learning mastery) using the outcomes ratings, students will often resubmit a revised work sample.  When this happens, the default status is late.  As a result, it looks as if the student has done something wrong.  Quite the contrary, they are persisting in their learning journey and taking the time to resubmit a work sample to show increased proficiency.  I am requesting that this be both tracked and acknowledged.  

Therefore, I am requesting a status option that says "Revised".  This will alert the student and caregivers that another attempt at proficiency is being attempted.  This should be celebrated!

8 Comments
ann_hayes_bell
Community Member

As teachers and districts are using learning mastery as part of "Grading for Equity" this status addition would be a helpful feature. This is part of the visual learning for teachers, students, caregivers.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

CZaccagnino
Community Member

Yes! We need this! Please make this a status so we can track student revisions.

Also, please prevent resubmissions from being marked "late." When a student revises, it shouldn't be marked late if they are allowed multiple submissions. I have to go in and change this manually for every student who revises their work.

LisaSnow
Community Explorer

I completely agree; there is a "resubmitted" status, but I have no control over assigning that to something, like I do with missing/late/excused.  

Can the resubmitted status be opened up for teachers to assign in Speedgrader?  Thank you. 

alison_keene
Community Member

It would be very helpful, when working with students and parents, if the Canvas gradebook could keep the color status of RESUBMITTED in the gradebook.  I have the ability to put a color status for RESUBMITTED, but none of the gradebook assignments show the Green color.  I need to be able to see, at a glance, how many assignments were resubmitted.  Parents often ask if students have actually resubmitted work and it would be nice to have that color status available to stay on in the canvas gradebook.

tynerw
Community Novice

Currently, when a student submits an assignment, there is green document icon in the Canvas Gradebook that notifies a teacher that something was turned in.   However, if a student inadvertently turns in the wrong assignment, in the comment section, as a teacher, I can alert that student and ask him/her to resubmit the correct assignment.   If that student does so, the green doc. icon is still the same.   I was wondering if Canvas could make RESUBMISSIONS a different color, so we know that the student has resubmitted something.   Thank you for considering as I think teachers need something above and beyond a To Do List notification.   The whole idea of a spreadsheet like gradebook is to be able to quickly scan and spot things that we need to follow up on.

tmontenarello
Community Member

Yes to all of the above!

Right now the only way to have an assignment pop up on a student's to-do list when they are given a chance for revision is to mark it as missing. That worries students and makes parents think their child has not done the work.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.