New students

0 Likes
(7)

I would like for there to be a way to have new students have a start date. Right now when a student joins my canvas class all prior assignments show as missing. The only way I know is to excuse the student from each individual assignment. That would take me hours or days as we have so many assignments. I would like to see it start fresh on the day the new student begins in my class.

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

adieken
Community Explorer

I was just about to make this suggestion. We often have elementary students enroll in a new trimester. Because there is no start date, all fall trimester assignments show up as missing/late, which stresses out students, parents, and teachers.

Teachers have to go through every assignment and excuse that new student from those old activities. When that student is in elementary, that's a lot of activities in a week, let alone a whole trimester!

BWOOD2020
Community Member

OH MY GOSH! I have searched and searched and sent messages to Canvas to see if there is a way. I have been on tonight twice already just trying to find a way to hide those missing assignments, especially the QUIZZES because they get flagged as missing. Then the external google docs are there but looks like they were never submitted. Then I have new students trying to submit work that is showing missing when they weren't even in my class at the time! I cannot go through and click every single student (30 new), in the 3 courses I have for every single assignment posted since the beginning of school in August. We need the capability to select the start date for assignments, not just the start date for them to view the course (which I did find that under the Settings tab, but that doesn't do what I need it to do). If that button was connected to all the modules, that would work fabulously. This is very stressful for students, parents, and teachers. I cannot tell you how many people you would affect if this one simple change could be made for the teachers. This is a hot topic in the Canvas facebook groups, team meetings, everywhere...please, please, please, have this idea submitted and get this turned on for teachers! Please and thank you! @sbell303 @Stef_retired @adieken 

BWOOD2020
Community Member

BWOOD2020
Surveyor

OH MY GOSH! I have searched and searched and sent messages to Canvas to see if there is a way. I have been on tonight twice already just trying to find a way to hide those missing assignments, especially the QUIZZES because they get flagged as missing. Then the external google docs are there but looks like they were never submitted. Then I have new students trying to submit work that is showing missing when they weren't even in my class at the time! I cannot go through and click every single student (30 new), in the 3 courses I have for every single assignment posted since the beginning of school in August. We need the capability to select the start date for assignments, not just the start date for them to view the course (which I did find that under the Settings tab, but that doesn't do what I need it to do). If that button was connected to all the modules, that would work fabulously. This is very stressful for students, parents, and teachers. I cannot tell you how many people you would affect if this one simple change could be made for the teachers. This is a hot topic in the Canvas groups, team meetings, everywhere...please, please, please, have this idea submitted and get this turned on for teachers! Please and thank you! @sbell303 @Stefanie @adieken 

heatherhogan08
Community Member

It would be great if there was a way to mass exempt new students from assignments. Especially this year, we have had students transferring from home to school and back again, changing classes, and moving into the school. When students are added to my section, it shows that they are missing all the assignments previously assigned before their entry date. Students and parents have been concerned at times because it shows the "missing" work.

HollyMcDonough
Community Member

Is there a feature in canvas that allows all previous assignments to be excused when a new student enrolls If not, can we place a feature request? Thank you

kickler_d1
Community Explorer

Ditto, ditto and ditto. It seems inconceivable to me that a learning management system with a gradebook of any kind wouldn't have this option. There is no circumstance that I can think of where a new student would be expected to make up all missing assignments from the whole school year. That is absurd. Designating a start date/enrollment date should void all past assignments from any status at all. This should have been built in from the start. 

CAJoe
Community Novice

This would be such a big help. I have a new students coming in Tuesday. I am going to need to enter 129 Excused grades. There has got to be a better way. 

AH18
Community Member

Please, please, please make this possible!!!  It is a huge time waster but if a teacher doesn't excuse every assignment, parents get VERY upset.  PLease fix this ASAP!!!

AprilFranks
Community Member

I would like to see a way to allow the gradebook to show grades and assignment from the time a student start the course and not all of the previous assignments that were assigned before they started.  Currently, when students transfer into a class mid-term, all previous assignments must be excused one at a time in order for them not to show up as missing assignments.  This is very time consuming not to mention frustrating to the students and parents as it makes it difficult to see what needs to complete.  

npsfa
Community Member

I would love this feature to be added. It is very tedious for us to have to dismiss all prior assignments/quizzes/tests for new students.

trmoore27
Community Member

AMEN! I have had 7 kids add in the last 4 weeks at the elementary level. I am now spending my precious planning and prep time to go through and excuse all of the assignments that were due before they started. My kids have multiple assignments per day so I'm looking at excusing at around 400 assignments per kid, which does take a lot of time and is incredibly tedious. I don't think it should be that difficult to add a "student start-date" that will automatically excuse them from all assignments due before that date. I know there are other gradebook programs that have this as a feature, and I'd really like to see this implemented in Canvas. Canvas is not just used at the college and high school level anymore, and there needs to be some recognition of that in the programming.

TodCritchlow
Community Member

AGREED

Work around - export grades to spreadsheet (excel, sheets)

Find new student, change all desired assignments to Ex (easy if you how to autofill).

Save as a csv file

Import back into class.

(Hint: it goes faster if you delete all students other than the new student).

But - start and end dates would be a lot easier.

KarleyWare
Community Member

I have had many new students join my class this year.

This is the message I receive:

Grade for Student s73391 (section 582824) in assignment 129914 is unable to be posted due to the student enrollment start date in your SIS being after the assignment due date.

It would be nice if Canvas could identify the start date and any assignment before that start date, the student was exempted from. 

I have done this for the student on canvas and our infinite campus grade books and still receive this message. 

Canvas should recognize start dates and automatically excuse students

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.