No new browser tab on To-Do items!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-12-15)

Do not open a new browser tab each time I click on an item to grade from the to do list.  It gets very confusing and overloads and slows down my computer as I work.  Then I'm constantly having to close tabs all the time. 

40 Comments
e02241
Community Novice

I'm in agreement with this chat about having the ability to turn off the new tab. It impacts my workflow and slows me (and my browser) down. If we had an option to disable it, that would serve all purposes. Please consider this a feature addition/change.

nick_schmitt
Community Explorer

The problem is that you always have to close the original tab after you grade an assignment because your work progress is not updated in the original tab. For that reason, I can't think of any situation in which you would click on something in To Do, and want want to go back to the original tab.

michelle_anding
Community Member

First, PLEASE change this option. By the time I am finished grading, I have 40 tabs open.

Here is a work around for now. In Chrome, you can click and drag the link (the assignment in the To Do list) to the tab above and it will open in that tab. 

patricia_lipsey
Community Participant

Hi Stephanie,  I was so excited to hear that this is in development. I assumed that meant there was some urgency but apparently not.  I am certainly not a software designer but it seems like ¨undoing something¨ should be faster than creating it.  Do we have any hope to see this change soon. 

Drowning in tabs!!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Functionality to opt-out of new tabs is included in our upcoming deploy. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-12-15).

Thanks,
Erin

RhondaNishimoto
Community Novice

Every time I click an assignment in the To-Do list, it opens in a new tab in Chrome.  It didn't use to do this.  Now when grading I end up with tons of open tabs and it uses up tons of memory in my computer. Please make it stop. Thanks!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New