Notifications History to read truncated notifications and respond to them appropriately later

0 Likes

It is so frustrating when I get a notification from Canvas Teacher that (for example) a student has left a comment on an assignment, but when I click on the notification, it just opens up Canvas Teacher to the dashboard -- it doesn't even bring me to the source of the notification. To make matters worse, the notification is usually truncated and so I cannot see the full assignment name (and I usually don't remember the name of the student mentioned in the notification).

There should be a "Notifications Panel" in Canvas that lists everything that it has ever pushed out in any notification form (e-mail, text, or app-based notification) so that they can be reviewed in their entirety later when convenient.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

With what types of notifications are you noticing the issue? I tested messages, announcements, and assignment comments, and I was able to individually tap the notification on both iOS and Android and I was redirected.

I do like your idea of a notifications history space similar to what exists in the Canvas Student app. I'm not sure how prominent it would need to be, but to it would make sense to add it to the bottom bar with the To Do and Inbox icons.

tpavlic
Community Participant

My students frequently leave Assignment Comments which pop up a notification in my Android Canvas Teacher app. When I touch on the notification, it brings me back to Canvas Teacher, but I'm brought to the dashboard and not to the assignment. At that point, the notification is cleared in Android (making it impossible for me to review the assignment name or student name). If I remember the assignment name, I could go through every single submission until I find a comment, but that's not practical for large class sizes. I have never had tapping an assignment comment bring me to the comment. Just today this occurred again -- clicking on the notification showed me all my classes on the dashboard instead of bringing me to the comment or even the corresponding class.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

smpoole
Community Novice

In the student version of the mobile app there are more tabs at the bottom of the app. One such tab is Notifications. 

Currently, instructors get notifications in emails that alert them of comments on assignments from students. But when we go to the web app, we have to go looking through all the assignments for the actual comment. This is frustrating and often I forget to go back to the assignments to check for comments  

Why do students have a notification tab in their mobile app and instructors do not? 

I suggest that A Notifications tab be added to the instructor mobile app. It would significantly improve the user experience. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.