Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
hillman_ke
Community Novice

Several instructors at my institution want to be able to have specific students send notifications specifically to them.  Currently the instructors are receiving notifications from students they have no contact with and need to know how to have the specific students notify them via Canvas.  

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Still an idea in late 2018.   @kbink  Thank You  for starting the discussion that led me to this three-year-old idea: Misuse/misunderstanding of Grade Comments 

trank
Community Novice

Is there anyway to implement these notification features. I feel like I don't have any privacy when notifications were sent out to students for almost everything I touched on Canvas. Very frustrated.

fwebster
Community Novice

I really like using the Canvas system, but I'm amazed this still hasn't been implemented. We have staff across the organisation who are on group-wide courses and getting so many notifications they don't need. If you could implement this feature it would be a great help, thanks! Smiley Happy

kbunch
Community Novice

I'm with everyone here -- this feature is way past due and desperately needed.  As an Instructional Designer and a graduate student, I have to turn off all notifications to avoid getting notifications for courses as an ID (most faculty will add me as a teacher rather than a designer) so then I miss very important notifications from my professors in the courses I take as a graduate student.  Canvas -- please review this and reconsider adding this feature.

m_h_horst
Community Member

over 3 years old and it's still not here

tuh14972
Community Novice

This one is close to what I was looking for, but would really love to get some details in the pop on the phone, not just a button to go to the application.  It would really help to get some details in the notification to say where in the course or what the notification is about not just 80 changes have been posted by students on the course.  I'm sure that would also help the students with some details on what changes have happened to their course.

bryan_boucher
Community Novice

This is seriously needed as a student! Different courses use Canvas differently and getting bombarded with low priority notifications from a course can bury very important notifications or announcements from other courses! Please change this!

esimkowitz
Community Novice

This is something both Blackboard and Schoology have. As someone who is both a TA and a student, I really don't want to turn off New Assignment notifications altogether but I would very much like to turn off the notifications for the classes for which I'm a TA. The fact that I can't and that this has been suggested for three years is really frustrating.

thompsli
Community Champion

Our school has a school-wide "homeroom" course which basically exists so we have a place to post school-wide announcements and keep a school-wide events calendar. On that events calendar we might have an event like "drop-in middle school PE hour" from 10am-11am every day all year. On the day that we set up a recurring daily event like this for the term, anyone in the entire school signed up to get calendar event notifications in something other than digest form will get a separate email (or phone notification) for each individual instance of this event, which causes them to get hundreds of useless messages about PE drop-in times in a burst and, quite often, decide to kill all future Canvas notifications with fire by blocking them in the email program or on their phone.

It would be nice if we could just turn off that setting for just that course rather than do this to poor unsuspecting parents and students each term. (I finally turned off notifications for calendar events in my Canvas notifications due to this even though I'd quite like them for my other classes that don't post multiple irrelevant-to-me events on their calendar every day.)