Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
sndavis3790
Community Novice

One of the groups that I'm in posts all of it's events for induction, but I'm already inducted so the notifications are extremely annoying

sking6
Community Novice

Auto notifications is a huge intellectual property problem with Canvas.  As the current model is set material is "sent out" before it may be completed/finalized/double checked.  In general intro courses this is not really a problem, but in higher level coursed (i.e. advanced university students) this can be a real issue when data/schematics/procedures are shared on a very limited basis.  This is needs to be addressed yesterday.

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I had an instructor ask me about this just a couple of weeks ago. Having this feature would've saved her a lot of unnecessary notifications from just one course while she wants them in her others.

Maeve_McCooey
Community Contributor

Upvoted! We've heard this request so many times, pretty please make it happen Instructure!

jenny_ericsson
Community Explorer

Totally agree on this!

myrang
Community Novice

Hi Canvas Team,

The ability to change notification settings for each course would help me immensely. I am currently a student assistant for the civil engineering department at my school where I help instructors set up their courses. As a result, I am added as a designer to many courses and receive course notifications that do not apply to me. Since I am also a student, these extra notifications clutter my already overwhelming email notifications.

Please reconsider this update!

Thanks,

Myran

jphambleton
Community Novice

I just chatted with an agent and learned this feature is not available, and would like to chime in with resounding support for this improvement.

Now, if only I could vote the historical Chicago way: "vote early and vote often." 

omalleyd
Community Novice

Just curious what department at my University you all would suggest contacting to lobby Canvas on our behalf for this feature. We as individuals cannot threaten to to take our business elsewhere since we are mandated by our institutions to use Canvas. So I'd like to get the people who can do that involved, which would actually give Canvas an incentive improve their service. 

mhollowell
Community Explorer

A few days ago, the banner (see screenshot below) appeared at the top of my home page after logging in to Canvas. I used the survey as a way to explain the issue of notifications by course and to plea for a resolution! If the Canvas survey is appearing on other institutions' home page, consider submitting your feedback about notifications by course on the survey . . . in addition to up voting here.

336822_Capture.PNG

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

That is a great idea,  @mhollowell , and thanks for suggesting it here. Ideas are but one of several ways the product team engages with Canvas users to build and improve features: What is the feature development process for Canvas?