Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi 19045​.

This is a frequently requested feature in Canvas.  It was submitted this past May and received 138 votes.  Unfortunately it was determined at that time that there were not sufficient resources available at that time to move forward with it.  You can read related comments at

I'll go ahead and add this idea submission to the queue for ideas that will open for vote next week.

Thank you for taking the time to come participate in the Feature Idea forums.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission. We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Your idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

bogardde
Community Participant

The last time this idea was voted upon, Canvas immediately archived it because it wouldn't work with the "current architecture." Perhaps this architecture needs to change sooner rather than later? I think it's time we voted again to show how important this type of feature is to our users.

Let's do this! :smileycool:

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I agree that we need more granularity with notifications.  Notifications are generated by all sorts of functionalities and the whole "all or nothing" approach really isn't feasible, especially when you have multiple courses and various support roles (TA, Professor, etc.)

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

bogardde​ and  @canvas_admin ​,

This is definitely a popular request.  I don't remember how many votes it had in the old forums but people have been asking for it for a long time.  I'm not an engineer but I remember when they scoped this last May it was determined that it would require a major refactoring of core Canvas - akin to changing out your diesel engine for an internal combustion job.  That all being said, the main purpose of feature voting is to determine peoples level of interest relative to other features and bug fixes, so let the voting begin (next week).

canvas_admin
Community Champion

lloyd.png

bogardde
Community Participant

hahaha so wrong!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

As more districts look into adding staff as observers for individual students, which is a solution to a common K-12 need, this feature is so important!  We've added our IEP Caseload Managers as observers to the students they have on their caseloads.  Typically, this is 10-20 students.  In most cases, these teachers also have their own classes.  Right now, there is no differentiation between notifications they receive for their own classes and those received for the students they observe.  The teachers are getting inundated with notifications! They need to be able  to select notifications based on the individual course.

caitlin_charnle
Community Novice

This made my morning. lololol