Notifications by Course

It would be great to be able to set notifications for each individual course.  There have been many times that I needed really detailed notifications and other times I needed nearly zero notifications.  Under the current system it is all or none.
Note from the Community Team:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c... also requests this capability. We consider combined support for both ideas as part of our regular prioritization process.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

112 Comments
curtain
Community Participant

Thanks for this update... it is very nice to hear that work has started on this issue as it is clearly critical to how Instructure and it's users think Notifications should work.  I am confident that no one at Instructure or any teachers or administrators like to read all these posts about people just choosing to shut off their notification stream all together.

sjones5
Community Novice

I came on here to submit this idea.  On our campus we are part of multiple classes so that we can access files, etc as needed.  However, I do not need an email every time someone who is a teacher in one of these other classes makes a change to the due date, uploads a new version of something, etc.  They tend to come like 30-40 at a time!

I would LOVE to see the ability to individualize notifications for different courses!

wolfe
Community Novice

Even though this idea is archived, I just wanted to express continued support for it. As a big task, I know it may not take top priority, but I hope it stays on the list of ideas to work on.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you to  @hesspe ​ for contributing a related idea, and to irishb​ for suggesting that we refer to it here.  Peter's idea gets as the same need or pain point as does this suggestion and might prove an alternative remedy for when this issue is addressed by our engineers and product managers.

jessica_jones
Community Novice

I'd like to be part of the user group, but the email address given for Allison is deactivated so cannot sign up to this! Any one know who I can contact?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you,  @jessica_jones ‌

My apologies.  I need to take the user group portion out of the official response.  Allison did explore this feature for a short time.  The exploration is no longer active.

jessica_jones
Community Novice

So there is no plan to look into this at all at the moment?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Jessica,

Yes, that is correct.  We do not have an active focus group currently, connected with this issue.

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

I understand Peter's suggestion might help in some circumstances, there are many others where it would not work. 

Stefanie Jones post above is one example.  We have case-load staff enrolled as observers who may also be teachers on their own classes.  In those cases, the course teacher would want to send a notification, but the staff observer may not want to receive these.  The staff member might be observing students in dozens of classes.  By turning off their notifications to avoid these, they don't get notified when students from courses where they are the teacher try to contact them.