• For example, students can type in when finding the diameter
7 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

bmohs
Community Novice

I teach chemistry and subscripts are a huge part of formula writing.  The Canvas quiz formatting allows the use of subscripts and superscripts in the question area, but NOT in the answer area.  Can this option please be added so that chemical formulas will look as they should for students?

thatchemteacher
Community Member

I am a chemistry and IPC teacher. I need students to be able to enter numerical answers with symbols or scientific notation. In addition, students need to be able to enter subscripts or superscripts in their answers. At the moment, students have to use regular size numbers and symbols such as "^". They also have to use the letter x for multiplication, and Canvas Numerical answers do not accept letters in their answer.

Yellowchalkie
Community Member

I am new to this but just tried to create a Stage 3 (i.e. upper elementary) Maths word problem that requires a money answer. i.e. $28,234.00. I presumed I could create this question using the 'numeric question' option. However, the answer box won't allow a $ sign. Can this be altered so basic Mathematical symbols are also allowed? My student question is a basic one requiring a common type answer. I must admit to being surprised that this function isn't already available in Canvas?

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme