Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to re-submit the previously archived feature idea for "Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option" from Scott Finkeldei and commented on by Rob Ditto.

This continues to be an issue for my institution, and I believe it may now be able to gather enough votes to proceed to the 'Gathering Information' stage.

"Currently only some question types allow regrading (Multiple Choice, True/False, Multiple Answers - How do I regrade a Quiz? )

Numerical question type (and other types) needs to support regrading.  There are many cases that are simple such as needing to expand the range to accommodate a rounding issue.

Rob Ditto has commented:

In addition to the rounding issue Scott Finkeldei mentioned, our faculty regularly cite real-world needs for Numerical Answer regrading.  Here are two examples:

• With questions involving percentages or probabilities, the author might not remember to enter two versions of the answer: e.g., 97 (meaning 97%) as well as 0.97.
  • Similarly, when answers involve units, the teacher or TA might want to count as correct a student's answer expressed in different units -- for example, 0.75 as the equivalent in minutes of 45 seconds.

Automatic regrading allows teachers to be fair to students who give alternate correct answers, avoiding extra time spent using Excel filtering of a Student Analysis .CSV to identify who should be awarded points manually.  The regrading automation originally developed for other question types in 2013 also gives students clear indications that a question was regraded, further benefiting learning.

Others had great contributions as well.  Please vote for this important feature and add your use cases and thoughts"

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
32 Comments
kona
Community Champion

To close the loop on this, here are the original two feature ideas for this - &

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

85738_pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission,  @eprada . As you're already aware, Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option & Numerical Answer questions need to allow regrade option​ were both submitted in a different voting period, but archived due to lack of votes or inadequate response. You may want to reference this idea for any insight.

Since archived ideas can be re-submitted, this idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, help your idea gain traction by posting a link to this idea in the comments of the other, archived idea (which will notify author and anyone who is following the idea) and share your idea to colleagues and peers who you think would be supporters, as well.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

curtain
Community Participant

I am glad the 'Allow regrading of Numerical question type' is back and going for another run at moving to the next stage.  This is an important regrade option.  Thanks for considering.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

Some things should just get implemented whether they have enough votes or not. I'm hoping this is getting rolled into the general Quiz Engine rebuild. If it misses out, and we don't get enough votes, next time maybe we should try marketing it as Allow regrade for ALL question types. Most people never use a numerical item, which may be why this perfectly sensible request struggles to get votes.

curtain
Community Participant

Good points  @BKINNEY ​

kaw
Community Participant

You are right - the numerical or formula answers are used by mostly STEM  professors - a minority group in most universities.  I have similar requests that were rejected for formula questions, such as showing of unnecessary zeros after decimal point when a student enters an integer answer.  This creates myths in my students as I teach a course in Numerical Methods!

admin_brake
Community Participant

Yes, regrading is an essential!

jenniferrblair
Community Member

This would also be really helpful with fill in the blank alpha questions as well.

gclam
Community Novice

Hello Y’all,

I have read with great interest in this discussion thread about requesting support for the numerical types of questions (not just  restricted to the multiple choice or true/false types) submitted by various users from within this Canvas user community.

I am also submitting a related request that Jennifer Blair raised regarding "blank alpha questions." Here is a quote from one of the instructors our Teaching and Learning support at our institution after he had discovered that there were limited question types supported by Canvas:

• "Can you send a special e-mail to Canvas developers that other types should be supported too. WebCT supported all types.  Now I have to do the job manually  for each student. There are 80 students. Thank you for your help"

Thank you for re-considering supporting the  “Fill in the Blank” question type.  I had seen that there was similar request for  “Fill in the Blank” found in this forum thread https://community.canvaslms.com/message/21479#comment-21479 .  And also previous attempts for voting on  “Fill in the Blank” that  ended up archived (e.g.https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3385)

Looking forward to seeing the result of this vote-up.