Observer roles notifications

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we enable the 'notifications' for oberservers. Currently these are very limited. Observers will get 'annoucements' notifications but not 'course content' or 'file' etc... This makes it very difficult to manage expectations when they are asked to set their notifications and then it doesn't apply to them.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Notifications section of the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

28 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

77296_pastedImage_0.png85024_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but why is this a feature request?  This is a bug that should be fixed asap.  If an observer goes into Canvas, sets their notifications, and then doesn't receive anything even though the event triggers have occurred, that is a bug, not a new feature.  If this is just how Canvas works, then the documentation needs to be updated stating that Observers will not receive notifications, and observers should not be given the opportunity to set notifications that will never come.  I know I'm late to this conversation, but it has just come up in my K12 school district and I feel like it is something that should have been disclosed during our implementation before we went out and told parents how to set notifications. Now there is some real urgency for our district to get this resolved as parents are coming to the realization that they are not getting notification's.  Has anything significantly changed since these posts?   @Eric_Roussel   @mlattke   @SethBattis 

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Seth, this is fantastic work and thank you for posting it.  Has anything changed since you conducted this test in June?

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Not good at all when you go out and train parents on how to set notifications and then those notifications never come.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

@joseph_allen ​, sorry to be slow responding. Nothing has changed that I know of. I do have  JIRA number (CNVS-23234), so I should get updates if anything moves.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Seth, does this continue to be a problem for your district, and if so, how are you dealing with it?

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Yes. It continues to be a problem -- not being able to get notifications means that I essentially have to re-present the information in some other format. It's a work in progress, but we've got an Advisor Dashboard LTI that lets advisors get some visibility into their advisees lives, even though they can't get notifications about "high interest" advisees (e.g. "I have an advisee who's pulling C's and D's, and I'd really like to get a notification every time they get a new grade.")

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

@SethBattis ​ and  @joseph_allen , check out the latest beta release notes!!  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6631#jive_content_id_Notifications 

Looks like there are some steps in the right direction for observer notifications!! Sweet!

SethBattis
Community Contributor

Yay! Thanks for the heads up  @mlattke ​! I'm headed off to test it out later on today!

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Yes.  Its great news.  Thanks.