Office 365 Integration

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

If Microsoft Office 365 was an integrated web service, these two features could be implemented:

1. Homework submissions from Office 365's OneDrive
  2. Collaboration using Office Web Apps - Word

Comments from Instructure...

Canvas Release: Microsoft Office 365 LTI

54 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Tom Tullio and Peter Nickson and Peyton Graighill Admin

Very excited by possibilities. We are starting with Canvas and have a functioning Office365 system in place in school with access by students and staff.

Count me in!

Gideon

keith_rowley
Community Member

Hi Peyton -- right now, I link to my Syllabus-as-Word-document on the Syllabus page (I upload it to Files area). To read it, students must either download it or click on the magnifying glass icon to preview it in the Box (panda-on-unicycle) window.

If I wish to edit the document, I must download it, open it in Word, save it, then upload it to the Files area again.

My dream integration right now is to be able to save the Syllabus in my OneDrive for Business cloud, then be able to view AND edit it with Word Online right there in Canvas, just as I can in my OneDrive. And, as soon as I'm done, students can immediately see my updates.

It would also be great to be able to do the same thing with PowerPoints, and with Excel spreadsheets -- save them in my OneDrive, then view and edit them directly from within Canvas, on the fly.

I'm happy to discuss my ideas further, too, if you'd like.

Thanks for offering! We live in exciting times. for sure!

Keith

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@peytoncraighill ​ -  we use a SharePoint based portal along with Office 365, including OneDrive, email, and of course the Office apps to include Skype for Business.  Happy to help any way we can.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

As is ours..

hpalmersheim
Community Novice

I would also be interested in talking about the 365 integration.  This has been a topic of conversation since we adopted Canvas in 2013 and I had really hoped we would have made more progress than we currently have.  I was very excited for the OneDrive integration, authenticating each time was a pain but not a complete roadblock.  What was a complete roadblock was that the documents didn't render in Speedgrader.  Speedgrader is an amazing tool and to not render in the browser made the integration useless. 

@peytoncraighill ​

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Heard some really positive messages at the Canvas conference in London a fortnight ago. Definite plans 'this year' to look at integration of Office365 including: Single sign on, collaboration, native apps for assessment grading (whatever that is) and adding Office365 content directly (I wonder if this is the development of web parts so you can drag and drop documents - like another VLE?)

rake_9
Community Champion

Ohio State would be interested in talking about an Office 365 integration, especially for Collaboration.  I think we'd have to do some work on our end, but that seems a less daunting approach than what we'd have to do to use Google.

petern
Community Contributor

Hi  @peytoncraighill , is there any more information about Office 365 integration that you could share?

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

There have been questions about O365 from literally around the world flowing to my inbox, and I thought this might be an efficient way to address them.

Good news: More and better integrations with O365 are very much on our radar for 2016. Bad news: There are no additional details on scope or schedule that we can announce right now.

Stay tuned!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the update  @peytoncraighill ​!  We really appreciate it!