Office 365 Integration

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

If Microsoft Office 365 was an integrated web service, these two features could be implemented:

1. Homework submissions from Office 365's OneDrive
  2. Collaboration using Office Web Apps - Word

Comments from Instructure...

Canvas Release: Microsoft Office 365 LTI

54 Comments
anthonem
Community Contributor

Thanks  @karl ​ for your feedback. We are an Office 365 school, so integrating with Office for Canvas Collaborations would be greatly beneficial for us!

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Just to follow-up on Karl's comment, in the coming months, we'll be investigating our options for an Office integration to add to our Collaborations component in Canvas. At this point, we all agree it's a really cool idea, and we're figuring out how much work an integration would require on our end. Not a commitment yet, but hope.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Because this will most likely not be on the roadmap within the next 6 months we are going to archive the idea for now.  Check back for updates!

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

Also keep in mind that Skype & Skype for Business are a part of the Office 365 suite.  It would be great if there was an Office-integrated LTI app (that either included Skype, or was solely for Skype). 

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If your institution uses Office 365 and you're willing to chat for a few minutes about expectations or hopes or dreams of an integration with Canvas, please message me!

adm-zakb
Community Participant

Minimally, it would be great if students could submit assignment files directly from their One Drive (similar to the Google Docs and Dropbox integrations now).

It might also be valuable to be able to assign students (as an External Tool) to create Sites.

If Course and/or Group enrollments could be passed to Office365, then SharePoint collaborations could be possible (as Assignment - External Tool).

dmallick
Community Explorer

Hi  @peytoncraighill  - definitely interested in chatting. Just getting started on the Community here so I'm not quite sure how to message you - hope this does the trick.

buellj
Community Contributor

@peytoncraighill  I'd be happy to talk about our desires around this. Seattle University recently switched it's email system to Office 365, so having better integration with Microsoft products would be very valuable.

petern
Community Contributor

Hi  @peytoncraighill , I would definitely be interested to chat about hopes or expectations.  I think what I'd like to see regarding hopes is what I've written about in the original idea.

tomtullio
Community Novice

We're a brand new Canvas client excited by all the possibilities -- so count me in,  @peytoncraighill