[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Mobile Offline Grading in SpeedGrader

I would like to be able to grade submissions while not on wifi (on iPad) and then have it sync back up when I get to a wifi connection.
33 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. December 2, 2015 - Wed. March 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

For teachers who are constantly on the go, having the ability to utilize the Speedgrader app anytime, anywhere would be a real time-savor for many teachers!

KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

I'd love to have this. Often when I travel I have stuff to grade.

petern
Community Contributor

This is very important.  Especially for schools when you consider that Office 365's OneNote class notebook feature offers offline assignment marking by syncing with the OneNote app.

jdamaso
Community Novice

Great feature idea. The Turnitin for iPad app had offline capabilities for grading writing, and I loved it.  You'd have to download a set of papers while online, but then you could grade/annotate them offline and synch when you reached wifi again.

sarmitage
Community Novice

Excellent and much needed idea for implementation. Better yet, allow for offline grading, recording video feedback, then batch sync when back online.

blee
Community Explorer

I have used other gradebooks that use a check in and check out feature, which I think might be relevant here.  The speedgrader app could essentially check out the gradebook to the device, while "locking" its local copy.  This is helpful if you forget that you've checked it out and then go to the web interface later, where it delivers you a warning, so that you don't end up with updates in two different places.  If you have a failure on the non-local unsynced copy, you can always use the web interface to unlock the gradebook and discard the update session that was on the mobile device.

An alternative would be to offer the user the option to sync up and discard updates that conflict.

KAilsa_Rowan
Community Novice

This is a great idea to implement this while avoiding sync errors.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Fantastic idea, and I understand why it would be so useful. Unfortunately, it isn't an easy change (~2 people for ~2 months per mobile platform), and it's really unlikely that we'll get to this within a year. I'll archive this idea now and reopen it if/when there's an update to give.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...