[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Mobile Offline Grading in SpeedGrader

I would like to be able to grade submissions while not on wifi (on iPad) and then have it sync back up when I get to a wifi connection.
33 Comments
taslim_tharani
Community Novice

This would be incredibly helpful! It's what I miss about Turnitin Marking.  The app was fantastic and you could do all the marking offline - which means I could mark on the tube/train/plane/in a cafe with no wifi etc.

Please make this a priority - we have just switched from studyspace to canvas and from turnitin to speedgrader.  I am already missing marking on turnitin, particularly using the app and offline marking feature!

ejennison
Community Novice

This definitely needs to be revisited and made a top priority! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

m_gregorio
Community Novice

Although my comment is pretty late to the game, I feel like our school thought we were taking a big step forward technologically-speaking, but for me as a teacher, it feels like a big step back. What I was able to do with the turnitin.com native site is now not available in the 'more advanced' version integrated with Canvas.  

Take me back...

jsouder1
Community Novice

I would like to add that this should be available on a computer as well. Amazing idea, to be able to grade "unplugged" and away from the distractions that I'm so bad at avoiding on the internet!

toni_ivey
Community Explorer

I was shocked that the teacher app did not allow for this.  I was able to do this in D2L/Brightspace (and it was about the only feature of their appbased grader that I liked).  Please move this up on your radar.  Being able to download a batch of files while online so that I am able to grade them while offline is essential.  There is no wifi at soccer practice! Smiley Happy

rgatins
Community Novice

This is really necessary! Many of us travel or commute a lot and don't have wifi all the time. Being able to grade offline and then sync once we have wifi is very useful and should be a priority.

Jess_M
Community Participant

This is a vital feature. Many in the tertiary sector commute overseas for conferences, and fieldwork. The ability to mark papers whilst on a flight without internet access would be amazing. 

I also second the comment that this should be available on computers.

jboren1
Community Novice

I feel like this has been a feature that Canvas has been dragging its feet to implement and I’m not sure why. Nearly every other LMS (and some plugins, like TurnitIn) offer an offline grading option. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten on a plan thinking “great, I’ll have 6+ hours to grade uninterrupted” only to find out that the plane’s WiFi is down (or unreliable), causing me great stress. Being able to download the papers or files ahead of time, grade them in offline mode with annotations in SG, and then sync them back to the student account when internet is available is a truly critical feature. I know that the Canvas app already stores cached files, so this really can’t be that much of an ask. Let’s get it going Canvas!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Justin,

Actually, downloading assignment submissions, annotating offline and then re-synching them when you are back online is something you have always been able to do with Canvas assignments. Use of speedgrader does require Internet access but offline grading of student submissions does not.