One click download all files in a module

0 Likes
(2)

When I go to begin my weekly readings and lectures, it means individually clicking on each file that is required for the week. There are often at least a half dozen files. It would be great to have a "one click, download all" feature. I have seen similar feedback posted from the teacher side in relation to bulk download of student submissions, but I have not found any similar suggestions for the student side, module download area. Both would be great improvements to the system.

7 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

katevideogeek
Community Explorer

I'm wondering how this differs to the HTML / ePub export options that instructors can already enable? For example: 
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/How-do-download-course-content-quot-Generat... 

I *can* still see a use for module specific level in order for students to gather modules closer to date those modules are being taught though, as sometimes teaching staff will make changes for upcoming modules closer to the teaching date. Exporting the whole course might result in needing to grab an export again regularly as those changes occur. 

In addition to the ePub and HTML export options I have had teaching staff express interest in a PDF export option. I'm in two minds as PDF is tougher to get right for accessibility, but it is a more open and flexible format that students are likely to have on their mobile devices already. 

JessCormier
Community Member

Go to the folder in Google Drive that contains the files you want to download. Hold CTRL and click on the files you want to download. Once you have selected the files you want, right click on the last file you selected and select download.

Liteblue

JakeFly
Community Member

Hi @katevideogeek

From looking at the feature you referenced, I would say one main difference is that I don't want the files for epub purposes. Another would be that (and perhaps this is because of the way the course is set up) I am as you mentioned going into individual modules for each week. I think due to the complexity of the course, breaking up the material in this way is very helpful. 

All I want is to be able to download a week's worth of files with one click. Generally there will be a few .mp3 files, a .pptx file, a .rtf file, and a .pdf file. Currently that would involve a click to download each file individually. I would like to be able to download all of the files with one click, perhaps even directly from the "Course materials" menu. For example "Week 1" would have a download arrow next to it, and if clicked, would download all files for that week into a .zip file or a folder.

JakeFly
Community Member

Hi @JessCormier 

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately I am not using Google Drive. I want a feature added to the Canvas "course materials" or "course modules" page to download all files at once. It would be very similar to the way it works in google drive or microsoft onedrive if implemented as a feature here!

pedromatias
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived