One-on-one chat function

When I log into Canvas, I as a faculty member would like to be available to my students for one-on-one chat, regardless of which of my courses they are currently in. This function would mimic students dropping by my office with questions outside of posted office hours. If I have Canvas open, they can quickly ask me questions in real time. I believe there should be an option to either be visible or invisible to one's students if Canvas is open in one's browser.

Right now, Canvas has the ability for course-wide chat if one has opened the course chat; however, I have to be in a specific course chat window for students to contact me. Also, communication is visible to all students who are in chat simultaneously. I think the current design could be improved or augmented as described above.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@nsekerak , you might also be interested in https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16272-limiting-live-chat-function-to-groups , which we have just opened for voting. 

nsekerak
Community Novice

Hello Stefanie,

This alternative idea would not open up the idea of individual chat to be simultaneously available for students in any of my courses.

jhwzen19
Community Member

It would be very helpful to have a chat window so parents can message questions while observing grades and assignments.

Julie Hakes-Wright

jhwzen19
Community Member

It would be a great tool for parents to have a chat window like microsoft teams to type questions and get answers live. Right now, all we have is email which is the new snail mail meant for more refined information. Daily Q&A should move quicker while in the window where parents observe. 

liveandcryinLA
Community Member

I like to hold my weekly office hours through the Chat feature on Canvas, and I think a direct-messaging option would really elevate the chatroom and help connect with students in a more personalized way. 

Usually students ask questions that can be answered in a way that's useful to others in the class/chatroom, but sometimes they ask about things better fit for a 1-on-1 response, and I think a pop out dm feature would be helpful for that. 

I know there are other workarounds for this (emailing them directly while in chat, using Zoom instead), but I think this would be a small yet major improvement to an already strong interface. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.