Only Display Hidden Scores Icon for Affected Terms

0 Likes

In the New Gradebook, if any scores are hidden, the Total Grades column displays a Hidden Grade Icon with the message that "This grade differs from the student's view of the grade because some assignment grades are not yet posted." This makes sense when there is a score hidden within that specific Grading Period or when viewing the "All Grading Periods" filter, but it displays across all individual grading period filters. This is extremely confusing and misleading for instructors. This icon should only appear in the Total column for Grading Periods actually affected by the Hidden Scores.

336649_pastedImage_1.png

4 Comments
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Interesting! We also use grading periods and I haven't come across this yet, but it would certainly be frustrating for a teacher trying to figure out why the eye is showing up in, say quarter 3, when nothing in that quarter is hidden. Seems to me as more of a bug or an untested use case on the development side than something that should go through the idea submission process. Have you brought this to Canvas Support yet?

bcalnan
Community Participant
Author

I did have a chat with Canvas Support and they described it as a combination of limitations/intended functionality. We had exactly what you describe come up. We are about to submit Term 2/Midterm Exam Grades, but we are already in Term 3. A History teacher has some Term 3 grades hidden, but was concerned when he saw the alert for Term 2. Very confusing and frustrating! The good news was that the student view did seem unaffected by this. I do think it is more of a bug rather than a feature request, but this seemed to be my only option.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@bcalnan ‌, our engineers have had a look at this and will address it as a bug. We've archived this idea since it does not need to be considered by our members. Please use the case number associated with your support interaction to request updates and receive notifications on the progress toward resolution.

Thanks.

bcalnan
Community Participant
Author

That's fantastic news. Thank you stefaniesanders!