Option to Post Submisson Comment for Manually Post Grades Setting

0 Likes

Instructors should have an option such as "Post Comment Now" when the Manually Post Grades policy is set. Students can post a submission comment to the assignment which the instructor receives, however any comment an instructor posts is hidden until the grades are posted for that assignment.  Often students submit comments that include questions about an assignment or a comment or question about their submission which requires the instructor to respond.  There should be a way for instructors to reply without having to start a new conversation or send a separate email. 

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@gnoack  Thanks for sharing this idea. According to How do I post grades for an assignment in the Grad... , when the Post Policy is set to Manual, instructors can release comments for assignments that they have not yet graded: "Submission comments can be posted even if no grade is entered. Students will be able to see posted comments before grades are posted."

Here's the link to the completed idea.

We have an active idea requesting additional functionality for Post Policies (fka "mute"):  mute assignment for single student while regrading  Would you review that one?

gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @Stef_retired 

It's my understanding that sentence is referring to when grades have been posted or manual is set to automatic students who I have not entered a grade yet for (such as missing, late, or extended) will be able to see comments submitted by the instructor.  Until that setting is changed, comments are not visible.  I did test this and that was how it worked for me. While the setting was on manual, students could not see any comment I posted to the assignment. 

In my case, I set some assignments to manual at the beginning of the semester so I don't forget when I go to grade. Leading up to the due date if a student posts a comment, I can't reply to them. 

I will just have to change my behavior and remember to set the policy right before grading, however I have had issues with doing so and it not working.  For example, if I don't set the manually graded policy for a quiz that includes both multiple choice and short answer questions that require me to manually grade, I can't change the policy after students have taken the multiple choice portion.  The last time this happened I even tried setting hide grades and manually post grades, but it didn't make a difference. 

gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @Stef_retired 

I just watched the video for the completed idea. (which I should have watched before my previous reply).  I can see how that would work, but what a pain!  Every time I post a comment I would have to both post the reply and then remember to post grades. 

A post comment now button for each individual would be a better option, in my opinion.  Also, there could be a situation where you have already posted comments for some that you did not want yet released.  Having it be an all-or-nothing posting option would not work if you wanted to post a reply to just one student. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gnoack  Thanks for the quick response! Does the existing idea to which I linked largely encompass the spirit, if not the letter, of the additional functionality you're hoping to see?

gnoack
Community Champion

@Stef_retired I guess I don't understand that post.  Mute/unmute is no longer an option.  Can't what is described by that idea already be accomplished?  When posting grades, simply choose to post grades for only those graded.  Or, I think* you could simply change the grading policy back to manual and it would only effect that student.  I will qualify that by stating I'm not sure, as I find the grade posting policies very confusing and the tutorials not very clear.  I'm basing this from this statement, 

"If you select a manual course posting policy after assignment grades have already been entered, the policy will not apply retroactively and any posted grades will remain visible."

How do I select a grade posting policy for a cours... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I'm assuming this means that for student that have not had a grade entered, resetting the manual grade posting policy would effect them. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gnoack  That idea pre-dates Post Policies, hence the "mute/unmute" terminology, but the idea in effect requests the ability to manage a single student's grades and comments through the posting process. I believe I understand the grading workflow you're hoping to achieve and if I've understood correctly, development of that requested enhancement would provide it. (The example you've provided is one I frequently encountered when I was teaching, and I was hopeful that Post Policies would include it.)

gnoack
Community Champion

Thanks for you help.  Hopefully, new updates will provide more functionality.  Until then, I have a solution. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gnoack  You're welcome!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived