[New Quizzes] Option to Use Rubric for Quiz Grading

As it says in the Instructor Guide:

You cannot use a rubric for grading in quizzes, since quiz scores are calculated based on the number of points assigned to each quiz question.

But this is what I want to do.

The feature I'd like to add is a checkbox in the Quiz options that lets me remove (or at least override) the points for individual questions, so that I can use a Rubric for grading the Quiz.

Added to Theme

10 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @e_m_kiley -

Thank you for sharing your idea! I want to verify -- you'd like to use a single rubric to override the entire score for a quiz, rather than have a rubric attached to individual questions. Is that right? Let the Community know so we can continue in our idea moderation process. Thanks!

e_m_kiley
Community Participant

Yes, @KristinL , that's right!---I'd like to have the ability to allow a single Rubric to override the entire Quiz score. (If there's even such a thing as a 'Quiz score' when this imaginary checkbox is checked off: I'm envisioning a scenario where I check off the box, and then point-value scores disappear from all questions, the "fudge points" box disappears from the Speedgrader, and the only thing that matters for the grade is the Rubric I create or find for the Quiz assignment.)

Hope this helps!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KatyCortes
Community Novice

I found this idea because I was searching for the way to do exactly this. For free-form answer quizzes (essay questions), having a rubric can make grading faster (less need to individually comment on each submission), but not if I have to fill out the rubric and then go in and enter points on each question also. Unfortunately, it looks like I have to do exactly that. For 240 students' submissions.

Please let a rubric (that has criteria aligned with/matching each individual essay question) automatically assign the number of point to that question. It will save a lot of time.

KimberlyBavis
Community Explorer

This is something that my faculty are also interested in. It's frustrating to them that they score using the rubric, and the score is there but the grade-book matrix still shows the Speedgrader symbol.

tomasdore
Community Participant

Yes, this would be a good idea. We use a rubric for the Essay questions, but it's too easy for someone to add marks to the rubric but forget to carry them over to the Quiz, it's an additional task and not intuitive that it needs to be done.

We thought first of a warning that the total score in the rubric should match the total score for the essay questions. 

Rubric-warning-score-EssayQuestions.png

If this makes it too complex, I guess we could split the quiz into two: one for MCQs (multiple choice questions) and the other for essay questions. But we'd still like to use the rubric to score the Essay questions.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New