Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

99 Comments
pohlmanma
Community Contributor

You're welcome. I will reach out to our teacher to see if the grade book is actually getting the submitted docs with Crocodoc or something else and then I'll let you know what I find out.

dar119
Community Participant

Any update on the progress for using a pen/stylus with an iPad for SpeedGrader?  Any chance it will be available by the beginning of the Fall semester at the end of August 2016?

bdoriot
Community Participant

I've not heard any more. Hoping to get some more information about this during my time here at InstructureCon. Hoping to talk to some of the mobile team folks.

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

Thanks Bobby. Any update you can get from our friends at Canvas would be greatly appreciated. I know our teachers would love for this feature to work as it is intended to.

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Just thought that I'd post an update here!

I've been the main developer on the mobile side for this feature and on the mobile side, we are nearly ready to roll. We are awaiting some work to be done on the web frontend before we can roll out to everyone.

This has involved a lot of engineers and been a pretty big project, but will be AMAZING when we are all done. As some have mentioned above, we did roll out to a limited private beta to a very small subset of institutions, where we received some valuable feedback which we are working to improve.

Let it be written, let it be known, this feature is coming! We can't wait to show everyone what we've been working on.

I'm writing this at InstructureCon, and if you want to see this in the flesh, stop by the mobile/ux booth! I'd love to show you!

bdoriot
Community Participant

Thanks for the update, Ben, and for all of your work on this. Looking forward to it.

Bobby Doriot

Director of eLearning

Scott County School District 2

812-752-8927 ext. 6012

vrushali_moghe
Community Novice

Thank you so much. Looking forward to using it!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Ditto, any feedback you would like in use, we are more than happy to help.

dar119
Community Participant

Thanks for the update, Ben. I cannot wait for this feature to become available.  This will be an extremely useful feature for our faculty and TAs a we start transitioning into Canvas.  One question . . . how will this be implemented?  As an update to the SpeedGrader app for iPad?

Dan Russell

Distance Education Coordinator

Graduate Program in Acoustics at Penn State

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yup! It will be an update both to SpeedGrader and Canvas - the former for the teacher to mark up submissions, and the latter for students to view those annotations that the teacher wrote, with the added ability to reply back.

It simply replaces the submission preview, with lots of added features. I've attached a screenshot of annotations in action. (Ignore the terrible test document I had uploaded to write on Smiley Happy )

Simulator Screen Shot Aug 2, 2016, 8.19.06 PM.png

You will notice that all the other features are largely the same, such as the rubric drawer still being accessible, just with the added annotations menu.  That menu will be able to be repositioned wherever you like. In the menu, on the second item (the pencil), you will notice a little arrow. If you tap and hold, other options come up as a tooltip, such as circles, squares, etc.