Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

99 Comments
cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Deactivated user​ - This video, linked from another discussion post on the community, shows the annotations in use. Is this something in beta, or are we on the verge of an announcement? Smiley Wink

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As you can see on this feature request, it is marked as In Development. That video shows a look into what it will look like when the feature is finished. Watch this page for updates!

dar119
Community Participant

except that in the video it does not appear to be working very well at all -- the user was unable to use the pen feature to write?

dar119
Community Participant

Ben -- any update on the timeline for delivery?  I have been waiting since February 2016 for the SpeedGrader app to become available for use with the Apple iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.  I am about ready to give up waiting and buy an Android Tablet because I have been told by other faculty and program directors that the Android version of SpeedGrader uses the stylus feature without any problems.

dar119
Community Participant

Hi Ben,

Are you guys any steps closer to having a timeline for release so you could let us know when the option of using a Stylus with Speedgrader on iPad might be available?  The faculty and graduate student TA's in my department have been waiting for this since September 2016. 

Dan Russell

gonzales
Community Novice

Is there any update on when this feature will be released? We have some faculty that are really interested in this feature. I am hoping to see this released sometime before the semester ends.

jrstric
Community Novice

From my perspective this is an essential upgrade need.  Our institution just started using Canvas, but I routinely use an iPad for grading paper submissions now (using a different program of course) and not having to go outside Canvas to grade written assignments was one feature I was hoping to have.  In fact, I almost routinely use the iPad for all my work and computer needs outside the office, except for complicated spreadsheet or writing needs (and getting better at those).

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi! There is currently no official timeline, but we are working on it! Keep checking here for updates! We will post as we have them!

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

That's awesome! We love to hear about lots of mobile-first usage! This will surely help, and I'm sure Teacher app will help as well! I can't wait for ya'll to try it!  

jfahs
Community Contributor

We have a number of faculty with iPad Pro's who look forward to using their Apple Pencil in the SpeedGrader app for inline annotation. Yes, updates would be great!