Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

99 Comments
susan_bujold
Community Novice

Many 1-1 iPad teachers are anxiously awaiting the ability to write comments on students' docs - the ability to circle something and show a correction or ask a question would be so time-saving and will provide meaningful feedback to students.   When is this coming? 

bdoriot
Community Participant

I believe this will be a feature in the Canvas Teacher app that is in development and, I think, is going to be released this sometime this summer. The annotation tool should be the same or similar to the tool available for students to use for PDFs in the Canvas app. Really looking forward to see it come together in the Teacher app.

Bobby Doriot

Director of eLearning

Scott County School District 2

812-752-8927 ext. 6012

shannon_larrea
Community Novice

We have been waiting on this for a couple of years now.  We love Canvas enough to deal with the waiting and I have seen the Beta in action.  It's worth the wait.  My teachers have found a workaround in the meantime with the app Classkick.  When students submit the link from classkick, you can write on the document in Speedgrader.  Works best through Speedgrader in web browser on iPad, but works in the app as well.

andrewsmith
Community Novice

My department is seeking more information on this feature. Is there any way they can get more information, perhaps beta access, to this?

bdoriot
Community Participant

Hey Andrew. Our school was fortunate enough to have this feature enabled for a while, but issues with the PDF browser caused them to take it away last week. I do believe this feature will be available through the Canvas Teacher app that is currently in development and will hopefully be available later this summer for use next school year. The annotations piece was great while we had it. Looking forward to the new app.

Bobby Doriot

Director of eLearning

bdoriot@scsd2.k12.in.us

 Apple Teacher

 Apple Teacher Swift Playgrounds

rseilham
Community Champion

Check out my post on the new DocViewer and what it can mean for this idea:

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/71772-canvas-docviewer-and-what-it-means-for-mobile 

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, everyone,

This idea was not timely updated to reflect that this functionality is available in the Canvas Teacher app, which was announced last summer. The original release notes can be viewed here: Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0) 

Canvas Teacher for iOS is currently on version 1.3: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13801-canvas-teacher-release-notes-ios-12 

We apologize for the delay in updating this status. 

Thank you!

Erin

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Erin

Are there any plans to have this functionality for Speedgrader on Windows for all those with hybrid devices?

Thanks

rseilham
Community Champion

This isn't the first time I've heard someone discuss this in the community. I can't speak on the plans of stylus support for hybrid devices that run Windows, but my suggestion is since it's not available, create a feature idea to give your ideas some visibility: How does the feature idea process work? 

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks Ryan. It is there as an idea - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8810-use-of-stylus-with-docviewer Some details comments and a few votes but not really enough traction yet...