Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

99 Comments
petern
Community Contributor

Would love this in Android as well!  Especially useful for the Galaxy Note.

dar119
Community Participant

Just heard back from Penn State implementation team and they are NOT going to be allowing us to participate in the beta test until the bugs are all worked out.  Bummer.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I discontinued using my iPad 4 in favor of the Surface Pro 3.  I was spending way too much time reinventing workflow due to constraints attributed to the iOS or iOS versions of Microsoft apps.   Glad to say the stylus for the Surface annotates files in the Speedgrader just fine.

kgo
Community Member

Is there any way to be added to the beta test? I'd love to try this feature out.

petern
Community Contributor

I've been using the surface pro 3 with speed grader on the website but personally find it a very jerky experience.... Especially compared to Squid or OneNote.

professorlusnia
Community Explorer

Can't wait to see this happen. Glad to hear it is in development!

vrushali_moghe
Community Novice

Is there any update on the development of this feature? - Our teaching staff are eager to use handwritten annotation tool on tablets, especially for math courses.

bdoriot
Community Participant

I know the Beta is out for selected schools to give some feedback. From what Ive seen with it, there need to be some adjustments before wider release.

Bobby Doriot

Director of eLearning

Scott County School District 2

812-752-8927 ext. 6012

pohlmanma
Community Contributor

We are one of the BETA testing districts and here is some feedback from one of our teachers about this "feature"...

When using the new grading pen it is very sensitive. Just an observation. But my comment is when I finish with a paper then type in a grade and swipe to the next student the pen fails to work at all. I have closed the app then opened it again and can go on but I have to do that every time I go to a new student.

vrushali_moghe
Community Novice

Hi Mark, thanks for your feedback. Does the grade book still render the submitted documents with Crocodoc or something else? Because I know that some instructors were able to annotate in Speedgrader using the Surface Pro 3 and Stylus, but it was still not a great experience as others have mentioned above.