cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

94 Comments
cgaudreau
Explorer III

Deactivated user​ - This video, linked from another discussion post on the community, shows the annotations in use. Is this something in beta, or are we on the verge of an announcement? Smiley Wink

bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

As you can see on this feature request, it is marked as In Development. That video shows a look into what it will look like when the feature is finished. Watch this page for updates!

dar119
Surveyor

except that in the video it does not appear to be working very well at all -- the user was unable to use the pen feature to write?

dar119
Surveyor

Ben -- any update on the timeline for delivery?  I have been waiting since February 2016 for the SpeedGrader app to become available for use with the Apple iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.  I am about ready to give up waiting and buy an Android Tablet because I have been told by other faculty and program directors that the Android version of SpeedGrader uses the stylus feature without any problems.

dar119
Surveyor

Hi Ben,

Are you guys any steps closer to having a timeline for release so you could let us know when the option of using a Stylus with Speedgrader on iPad might be available?  The faculty and graduate student TA's in my department have been waiting for this since September 2016. 

Dan Russell

gonzales
Community Member

Is there any update on when this feature will be released? We have some faculty that are really interested in this feature. I am hoping to see this released sometime before the semester ends.

jrstric
Community Member

From my perspective this is an essential upgrade need.  Our institution just started using Canvas, but I routinely use an iPad for grading paper submissions now (using a different program of course) and not having to go outside Canvas to grade written assignments was one feature I was hoping to have.  In fact, I almost routinely use the iPad for all my work and computer needs outside the office, except for complicated spreadsheet or writing needs (and getting better at those).

bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

Hi! There is currently no official timeline, but we are working on it! Keep checking here for updates! We will post as we have them!

bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

That's awesome! We love to hear about lots of mobile-first usage! This will surely help, and I'm sure Teacher app will help as well! I can't wait for ya'll to try it!  

jfahs
Community Member

We have a number of faculty with iPad Pro's who look forward to using their Apple Pencil in the SpeedGrader app for inline annotation. Yes, updates would be great!

vkg
Community Member

Jeff (or others grading with a stylus on the Surface Pro), are you using the web version of Canvas or the Speedgrader app?  Is the experience better on one or the other. (including  @cstellre ‌ for her information)

Thanks for your time!

cstellre
Community Member

Hi all,

An instructor I worked with last summer was interested in using a stylus on

her Surface Pro to mark up student submissions. She would up using

DrawBoard on her Surface and uploading the marked up assignment to Canvas.

Not ideal.

Carla

Carla Stellrecht

Instructional Learning Consultant

LSA Information Support Services (ISS)

2014 MLB | 812 East Washington

LSA ISS Learning and Technologies Consultants Group Website

<https://ltc.iss.lsa.umich.edu/>

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Victoria Green <instructure@jiveon.com>

GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

With a Surface Pro or any other 2-in-1 device, is it possible to use the stylus to annotate documents directly in Speedgrader?

benjamin_bradsh
Surveyor

Kind of... unless there's a 'real' option there.

If you click on 'draw', it will pick up a tool that you can draw with using a mouse. The stylus should act like a mouse pointer then and let you write on it.

However, there is a bit of an issue with the resolution the draw tool can pick up. Writing doesn't come out smooth and handwritten at all.

GideonWilliams
Adventurer II

You must show me….

Disclaimer

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately and please delete this message. Thank you.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Posting here so I can see when there's an update Smiley Wink 

agay
Community Member

Waiting for Apple Pencil on Speedgrader iOS.

mormanam
Surveyor II

Any update on when this feature will launch? Anxiously awaiting its arrival!

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

@jayde_colquhoun ‌ Have you seen this?

I am eagerly waiting to hear of any updates. Could you imagine annotations using a stylus on the iPad? 

jayde_colquhoun
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Imagine! How progressive would that be! Love it. Also eagerly awaiting!