Option to Use Stylus with Speedgrader on Ipad

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hey All,

As of now, Canvas Speedgrader allows the use of a stylus/pen via the mouse on a standard computer monitor. However, when logged in on an Ipad, the option to use a stylus/pen to grade in Speedgrader disappears. I would like the feature added for use on Ipads so that we may use a Stylus to grade assignments on the Ipad instead of having to print assignments, grade, and scan back in.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS, Android 1.0).

99 Comments
dar119
Community Participant

Lovely!  I used SpeedGrader (and loved it) during the past Spring semester -- I had to use an external Wacom Bamboo tablet device to write on with my desktop computer -- not ideal for writing, but using SpeedGrader much better (and  much faster) than downloading individual files.  I cannot wait for the iPad app with stylus to be available.   Any idea when the updated app will be available for download?

jasper_gillespi
Community Novice

I've got a couple of questions.

Will this development also be available for Android? There is also a strong emphasis on using a stylus but would it work using your finger or would it be too inaccurate?

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

It will also be available for Android, however it will be a little after iOS is released.  As far as using your finger - yes! It works just as good.

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We have no set release date at this time. Development on the iOS side of things has more or less concluded, however it required a significant backend refactor. As soon as that is done, we are good to ship!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for the update Deactivated user​! I'm excited to see the update...and my colleagues will be so happy to grade with annotations from their iPads. Smiley Happy

avanzile
Community Novice

Yay!!!  My iPad Pro and Pencil are ready to mark things up!  I'm an administrator with teachers as students.  Need to give feedback on things they submit.  Piloting all of Canvas' features for my staff!

mohammam
Community Participant

This will be fantastic.  Thank you. I love grading on my iPad and this opens up the ability to provide even better feedback.

shannon_larrea
Community Novice

Any news or update on this feature?  It showed up on our schools iPads over the summer and teachers had it for the first week of school and then it disappeared.  It is very frustrating.  Any help is appreciated as to a general release date.  Will it occur by end of September?

Thanks

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We have not released any timeline yet as to when this will be done, and I can say for certain that it will not be done by the end of September. We will release it as soon as we can! We know this is a huge feature and a huge win for everyone!

sschatzke
Community Explorer

This is our first year using Canvas. We are a 1:1 school with iPads.  My math teachers especially are wanting this. I am already starting too lose some teacher buy in because of this feature not being available. Please keep us up updated.