cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to disable the "Welcome Tour" in settings?!

Option to disable the "Welcome Tour" in settings?!

0 Kudos
(3)

The canvas tour uses a cookie to determine if it has been shown to the user before. Unfortunately for users who clear cookies or use private browsing between canvas logins, the tour shows up on every single new canvas tab, including opening additional pages in a new tab.

This issue can be solved by adding a setting to disable the tour, as has already been done for the teacher welcome tour in Please, please, please tell me how to make the "Welcome Tour" go away?!. Can we please get this for students?

Tags (3)
9 Comments
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

JosephLynn
Community Member

get a userscript manager addon for your browser and put this in it since canvas is incompetent

@-moz-document domain("barringtonschools.instructure.com") {
.css-1l8qv42 {display:none;}.help-tray.MYpOQ_bGBk{display:none;}.help-tray.navigation-tray-container {display:none;}.reactour__helper {display:none;}

chiltyolinedu
Community Member

UPDATE: I'm using Stylus for Firefox and the code is still throwing an error. I went to your profile and found other code to use with stylus, but it's still appearing. Any suggestions?

chiltyolinedu_0-1604691258440.png

chiltyolinedu_1-1604691331306.png

Thanks JosephLynn,

This is a beautiful hack and I really appreciate it. How do I get rid of the " eslint: null - Parsing error: Unexpected character '@' " syntax error?

chiltyolinedu_0-1604690489762.png

chiltyolinedu_1-1604690573577.png

JosephLynn
Community Member

Oh, I probably shouldn't have parsed the code for my own school domain. Let me rebeautify the code so it isn't broken (I only added my own school's domain to the format, should have just put the domain), moz format doesn't do anything needed anyway.

I added a tutorial

.css-1l8qv42 {
    display:none;
}
.help-tray.MYpOQ_bGBk{
}
.help-tray.navigation-tray-container {
}
.reactour__helper {
}

tuorial.png

cvh
Community Member

Faculty from my institution would also like a setting in their profile to be able to turn off tour features without having to rely on cookies. Thank you.

kschneider25
Community Champion

I love the concept of the tour but I agree this should be something set as an individual option and completion marked in the profile instead of using cookies (I use multiple devices and browsers and clear my cache often).  This could become cringe-worthy. 

llawrence10
Community Participant

I agree 100% with Kori Schneider. We have used Canvas for almost 10 years and have very few new users. It would be far better as an feature one could choose instead of one that pops up automatically and doesn't seem to have a "dismiss" option.

UncleYeti
Community Member

it would be great if yall set up the tour to not pop back up after it has been taken, or put a box to click to no longer have the tour show up. it has been slightly aggravating when it keeps popping up even when I take the tour , and also click the x at the top and it returns every time I log in. 

I think this would make a quick fix and benefit many people in the long run.

RobRamirez06
Community Member

Everytime I open up Canvas on my computer, it always shows that stupid message that asks if I want to take the Student Tour, whatever that is, and it's so annoying to constantly have to close the message everytime I open the page. There should be a feature that allows you to turn off that message like a switch or something, that would be extremely welcome and make it way less annoying to open Canvas.