Option to mute assignments by default

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

Institutions or instructors who wish to always mute an assignment before providing feedback must 1) remember to do so, and 2) perform multiple clicks to mute each assignment.

An option to default every newly created assignment to a muted state would make them happy.

Comments from Instructure...

July 22 response from Jason Sparks

At previously mentioned, muting of assignments by default is not something we would actively pursue as new functionality; however, we can make the process easier if we added the option as a tic box in the assignment creation process.  Would an enhancement like this be sufficient to meet most of your needs?

Response from the Community Team

This idea is not planned and will be archived.  Please do continue the conversation as needed.

Response from the OP

If you voted for this, and are still interested in this functionality PLEASE vote on Mute assignment as a option at assignment creation!

41 Comments
cgiraud
Community Novice

I think changing the language associated with muting is important. I suggest: "grade is closed at this time."

cgiraud
Community Novice

We would like a "mute all" feature as our institution has a closed gradebook policy. We open all grades at specific times only--though students are given feedback and grades on individual assignments as they are submitted and graded.

Our intent is to control students obsessing over grades, misunderstanding how grades accumulate and impact each other, and giving teachers professional latitude to offer grades that may consider other factors beyond numerical. We also find that giving parents unfettered access to gradebook can invite over-zealous parents to offer lots of unsolicited feedback about a teacher's approach in her teaching.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

At previously mentioned, muting of assignments by default is not something we would actively pursue as new functionality; however, we can make the process easier if we added the option as a tic box in the assignment creation process.  Would an enhancement like this be sufficient to meet most of your needs?

Jason

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Jason:

I agree wholeheartedly, and would not want assignments muted by default - too many faculty would forget to un-mute, and the availability of instant grade feedback for students is both highly desirable and a best practice. By consciously muting an assignment, there is a better memory prompt that the assignment needs to be un-muted - is un-muted even a word; maybe not but we can sure make it one!

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Kelley,

If Stephen Colbert can give us truthiness, we can create unmute or demute!  You describe my precise reservations in a mute-by-default scenario. I remember when I first started teaching... with so much on my mind, I know I may have made this mistake.  We can definitely accomplish this in a very useful way.

Jason

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

un-muteable truth....

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure
kmeeusen
Community Champion

I shall forever remain immutable except through death:) Ok, maybe not. those good folks at Merriam tell me it means unchangeable, and I change my mind more frequently than my socks.

RobDitto
Community Champion

While the Business Schools user group was very much in favor of a default, we can all definitely use a checkbox to control muting at creation time of:

• Assignments
  • Graded discussions
  • Quizzes (sorely needed since it is the only way to control score display)
RobDitto
Community Champion

I assume we need everyone from here to go vote on before September.  If that's not the case, please advise.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I think that is the best option at this point,  @RobDitto ​. Rally the troops!

caryn
Community Member

Instructors tend to work through the grading for an entire class, then release the scores in bulk. Currently the instructors have to mute the assignment when it is created, then remember to unmute the assignment once scores are entered and feedback is provided; instructors would like to specify the default mute/unmute, likely at the course level. This has significant ramifications for the automated messaging that is sent through Canvas. This feature request is an extremely high priority for the UC Irvine community.

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

Oh jeez.  How did I miss this voting?!  It's one of our biggest needs right now and would be wonderful to have the ability to set that as a default at our Account level.    So I'm throwing another "vote" in here, even though I cannot.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Beth,

Its not too late!  Go to and add your vote and comments to .  This idea is very much under consideration and still in the gathering info stage even if this particular feature idea submission has now closed for vote.

rgo877
Community Member

Scott, thanks.  But I guess I want to ask why what you're saying ("This idea is very much under consideration and still in the gathering info stage") seems so different than the language posted at the top from the "Community Team" -- "This idea is not planned and will be archived."

That earlier language seems to be saying, "Forget it - we aren't doing it." 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Rich,

A lot has changed since this idea was originally posted five months ago.  We have received much feedback from users here in the forums and we take that seriously.  Also there has been a lot of conversation about the differences in having 'mute by default' vs 'mute as an option during creation'  Not to speak for our Product team but this latter, related option is currently gathering information because we haven't decided which way to fall and are still trying to get as much feedback from users as possible.

boles
Community Participant

I STRONGLY  support the tick box because I am VERY frustrated at having to go through all the steps to UNMUTE an assignment when I never asked for it to be muted in the first place.  Especially for quizzes:  I want students to see certain results immediately without me having to constantly remember to go to Speed Grader or Grades to unmute something I never wanted muted. 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just for anyone reading, while new is not muted by default but, as Elson discovered, all the content that he migrated from a Sakai course does appear to have come across in a muted state.

boles
Community Participant

Indeed, in all of my courses that have been imported (5 this semester). This must be happening for the University of Michigan, and other universities that have converted to Canvas this year too, unless set by my university.

- Elson

johnpj
Community Contributor

You may be interested in this complementary feature request for muting by subject: " style="color: #2989c5;

I closes Jan 6th, so vote soon!