Option to omit selected assignments from Total Grade (Points based grading)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. July 1, 2015 - Wed. October 7, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Please allow the option to omit or not count certain assignment columns (for all students) toward the course grade.  This has a number of use cases addressing a number of common feature requests!

For example:

• Allows faculty to upload externally calculated columns (weighted scores, mid-term grades, etc) without modifying the course grade.
  • Allows posting of mid term grades or grades for just a single portion (or Module) of a larger course
  • Allows displaying both a group grade and an individual grade for differentiated group assignments (allows students to see the team score and there own weighted/adjusted indivudual score). In such case the individual grade could be used in the Final grade calculation and the team/group grade would be omitted.
  • Allows for mistakes/adjustments. For example an assignment or quiz with mistakes it (not all of us are perfect ) . Faculty could suppress an old version of an assignment and just count the new version (would also allow the faculty to manual override the revised assignment giving credit for the erroneous assignment as appropriate)

NOTE: The above is possible in the % weighted grading schemes by creating one or more assignment groups with a weighting of zero. However, this capability goes away when using a points based grading scheme!

Instructure Comment

For More information: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-06) 

20 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Also, if the weighted assignment groups is not a sufficient solution. Another idea was presented a few cycles ago: where the suggestion entailed having the ability to have ungraded assignments. This could be another way to achieve this outcome.

Reach out to  @ldprogrammers ​, gsfwells​ and  @anthonem ​ to see if they can assist in this further. Perhaps this might warrant a re-submission of this idea.

Smiley Happy

bushsl
Community Member

With regard to the On Paper submission type assignment, my experience is that if an assignment is worth zero points and I enter a number in the column, then that number is treated like extra credit – it still gets figured into the total score. Is there a way around this? By ‘add comments for the students’ you mean to manually type in the scores as individual comments, that’s a really tedious workaround for a large class. I’ve only got 135 students this semester, but sometimes I have 430, and I’m used to having multiple columns that don’t count toward grades – I’m not going to type in all those numbers for every assignment. I need to be able to upload. Can you upload comments?

I’m planning to use assignment group weightings next semester as a work-around, and create a grouping worth zero points. I wish I had known about this limitation in the grade book before setting up my grading scheme at the start of the semester.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Sarah,

If you use the zero weight assignment group technique, you shouldn't have any problem uploading comments or numerical values en mass.

bushsl
Community Member

Yes, thanks, I’ll use the weighted assignment group technique next semester. Glad to hear that you can upload comments, though!

RobDitto
Community Champion

A newer idea just opened for voting which resembles the older idea  @biray  mentioned. It might be of interest to some who are also considering this one:

" style="color: #2989c5;

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced at

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team