[Outcomes] Option to remove numbers from Learning Mastery Gradebook

0 Likes
(1)

School Canvas Admin here:

With the current learning mastery gradebook students see their progress displayed as a fraction (e.g. 2/4 [Not Mastered]). This often leads to students viewing mastery progress in "points" and not as an ongoing path to gaining a skill. 

In order to combat this it would be great to have an option for students to see the instructor defined descriptive names and colors in the student view of the learning mastery gradebook (e.g. [orange] near mastery), and not see the numerical mastery level.

4 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@NatGilsdorf, you are correct, especially if the Learning Mastery grades view includes meaningful descriptions from instructors on how students can achieve mastery and how mastery benefits them. I like that for each of the Outcomes, students can view the list of associated assignments and how each contributed to their mastery. 

One of the things I do to encourage a focus on learning instead of points is my Outcomes only have two levels: "achieved" and "not achieved."

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

BenFriedman
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @ProfessorBeyrer and @NatGilsdorf - we've started to design an update to the Learning Mastery Gradebook. We'd love your input in a 30 minute interview! If you'd like to participate, click here to schedule. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.