Option to require units (eg, meters) in numerical quiz answers

(14)

In problems in physics and engineering, answers require units to be meaningful. In designing a quiz question, there should be an option to require that a unit be provided ("3 kg" instead of "3".)  If no unit is provided, or if the unit is incorrect, only partial credit should be given. As a physics professor, I have found that student performance on exams increased dramatically in the area of correctly working with units after I started requiring their homework problems to include units (we were using Moodle, which implements this feature). 

26 Comments
UHSClark
Community Member

Is this the most active post for units on formula questions? I know that there is something about voting to help these conversations move to moderating but I am new to Canvas. Anyone point me in the correct direction or give me some more info? 

Thanks!

sdmartinSDP
Community Member

Canvas,

Please add this feature! It's so important for any science courses!

sdmartinSDP
Community Member

Hi Yall,

Make sure you click on the stars below the topic to rate it and upvote it to a higher level.

Thanks yall!

kdburke
Community Explorer

This is so important for chemistry as well. We need units!

arlinda
Community Explorer

It is April 2022, 4 years after the original request, and this issue hasn't been addressed by Canvas yet. It seems that the requests for a very needed feature by science and engineering instructors have fallen in deaf ears. Who in the world doesn't understand how important units are? How far do you have to drive to work from your house? An answer of 10 wouldn't make sense to anyone, even if you are not in the science community. Please add this feature to the numerical and formula questions. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.