Option to view analytics for items in the Commons

(5)
It would be helpful if the item owner could view how many times a resources has been imported into a course, how many times a resources has been viewed, etc. The rating is helpful, but more detailed analytics would be valuable to those who create content for the commons.

Transferred from old Community

Originally posted by: Robert Caldwell

Additional contributions by: Hope Liu, @Elena_Bianco

32 Comments
SHEBENE
Community Champion

Generally, it's more that someone thinks that time would be better spent on something else instead of the feature being voted on rather than the feature itself being detrimental. I voted this one up, but I know that's a been a motive for some down votes on other feature requests.

lkeevy
Community Novice

Assessment is extremely important for librarians - please enable this feature so we can track usage of our items in Canvas Commons!

alannah_roach
Community Participant

This is also imperative for state-wide institutions who may create resources on the back of government funding and would like to track how much those resources are being used when it comes to making funding requests again.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

cfierro , mricci , SHEBENE , lisa.lapointe , heath.hayden ,  @vsenior  ,  @gulick_24  , 302559 ,  saekowbrooksa2 , hammonse1 , linda.keys , greg.bem , lkeevy ,  @alannah_roach   each of you commented on this thread, so I wanted to touch base with you.  Did you get an opportunity to review the Commons features released in the Canvas Release Notes (2019-03-09)?  They touch on some of the content in the original post here.

heath_hayden
Community Novice

I did! A librarian group I am in alerted me to the update. This download number is super helpful to us at Bellevue College and I am looking at next steps for our institution and how to work more collaboratively with other CTCs in Washington State. I also really like the preview feature so anyone can see what a module looks like before downloading it into their course. This is super helpful. 

alannah_roach
Community Participant

Yes, I saw this too and it has been great to see how many times our resources have been downloaded. Now to find out who they are!

brooksa2
Community Novice

Yes, I'm just looking into this now - I'm really glad to see this suggestion implemented.  It will help a lot in knowing what is/isn't used and where we need to direct efforts.  Thanks for listening!

lisa_lapointe
Community Novice

This is fantastic news - thank you so much for adding the statistics. 

heath_hayden
Community Novice

This is truly great info to have! There seems to be a difference between the number on the course/module info card and the number reported when you click to access the full info about the module. 

One thing that has come up for us here at BC is about authorship of the modules. Does the count restart if someone other than the original distributor to Canvas shares a revised version of a module/course out to Commons? We have multiple librarians creating modules in a course and sharing them out to Commons and usually the same librarian will share their revised module out, but wondering if someone else refreshes it out in Commons does that start the entire count over again?

Thanks again! I'm so happy this feature is now available!

Heath

kschneider25
Community Champion

We love to see the number of times a resource but we would love to see who (course SIS ID or teacher(s)) used the resource.  This would help with QEP accreditation reports and with giving individuals further content or updated content/processes.

Guide where stats can be seen:https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Option-to-view-analytics-for-items-in-the-Comm... 

lavallel
Community Member

Yes, we agree with previous posts that additional data about the usage of commons resources would be very helpful.  Seeing which courses on our campus are using our library resources is crucial for measuring impact and helping us effectively reach out to the faculty who need us.  

Please consider adding course info and dates to the analytics available for commons resources.  Thanks!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!