Order Discussion Posts from Newest to Oldest

Currently, the discussion posts are ordered from oldest to newest.  A student/professor has to scroll or go to the last page and then scroll to get to the latest post.

Canvas REALLY needs to re-order this so that newest discussion posts appear at the top of the first page so that it is easy to find current conversations.

This topic had 100+ likes in the old community and I was really surprised not to see it on here already (I searched for this using several different search terms).   I sure hope we don't have to go through and re-idea every single feature request that had at least 30 likes and was years old with no action or response from Instructure.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

140 Comments
canvas_admin
Community Champion

@scottdennis ​,  I can appreciate that as I wish I had those same built-in protections with my work. Smiley Happy

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Amen!

esommer
Community Novice

I agree wholeheartedly! The discussion posts should have the option to go from newest to oldest when desired. Additionally, instructors should be able to force a post to the top of the discussion topic. By the way, how do I vote?

canvas_admin
Community Champion

@esommer ​, typically you will see an up arrow and down arrow next to the number to the top left of the feature request which will allow you to vote up or down the idea.  However, this request has been archived, so the voting has been disabled.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

This information about how the process works is helpful. I wonder if there would be a way to fit it onto this page How does the voting process work for feature ideas? ​ or to make a new page for it, so that more people are likely to see it. Apologies if you already have a page with this info and I missed it.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Good idea, Beth.  I'll see where I can fit it in.

esommer
Community Novice

OK, yes I see that, but the topic I wanted to vote was labeled as being open through August. I will try again when I have time.

Thanks.

-Ellie

E. K. Sommer, MS

Writer + Editor + Publishing Support

www.wordcreekpress.com<http://www.wordcreekpress.com/>;

Gainesville FL 32641

nikole_farrell
Community Novice

I agree- I think it would be much more user friendly if the newest posts were at the top to oldest at the end. Instead of scrolling through all of the old posts to get to the new ones.

Says this should be open for voting but I am unable to vote for some reason.

Thanks.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Deactivated user​ and  @esommer ​,

While the idea was originally scheduled for voting from May 5 through August 5, the idea has received enough support to garner a response from Instructure which you can view under the original idea. Instructure decided to move the idea into an "Archived" state which does not allow voting. I will post a screenshot of the response from Instructure below. You can find out more about the voting process in this document: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

response.png

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I realize this topic has been archived, but I would like to add my thoughts about other Discussion forums on the internet that I frequently visit.  It has been my experience that when a new topic is created in a discussion board category (or someone has replied to an existing topic), those topics automagically move to the top of the list, and the topic subject line is bolded...meaning there's new activity in that topic that I've not yet seen.  Topics that are not bolded are older and/or I've looked at them already.