Organizing Pages, Assignments, etc. for year long course

0 Likes

This is my 4th year using Canvas as my LMS. For the past 3 years, we (instructors) were given a new tile with each marking period during the year long course. I hated having to repopulate my course with the start of each marking period. While I didn't have to recreate everything since I could import pages and information from my previous tile into my new tile, it did take time to reconstruct everything. 

This year, we were given one tile for the entire year! I was very excited at the prospect of not having to redo my course tile at the start of each marking period. That excitement QUICKLY faded when I discovered that the long list of assignments, pages, etc. was still accessible in the next marking period and was mixed in with the new assignments and pages of the new marking period. 

Learning curve - I had to spend time going back over my 1st marking period assignments and label them as MP1. I then made sure to label everything in the 2nd marking period with MP2 so at least I could distinguish between them a little easier. That however did not fix my issue of so many files. 

1. can't unpublish assignments from MP1 in MP2 because there are student submissions. You can unpublish modules - but that doesn't fix the long list of MP1 files that still show up in MP2.
  2. When creating a new page, assignment, etc. and trying to link another page or assignment - you have to scroll through a LONG list of files (because you can't organize the files into folders or unpublish them)  It would be SUPER helpful to have a folder system within the Links tab while editing a page.
  3. courtney_s_cour_0-1608170225698.png

When syncing grades to Synergy - I again am faced with a LONG list of assignments that includes MP1 with my MP2. So I can't just sync all of my MP2 grades - I have to go one by one to make sure I'm syncing the correct assignments.
  4. courtney_s_cour_1-1608170486089.png

I think it is great that we can use one tile for the entire year. It makes things easier on the kids (they don't have to make sure they have favorited a new tile/course), and we don't have to spend time recreating the "wheel". But there needs to be a better organization structure for instructors. It is there for images and document files. It would be amazing if you could build it in for all the other pages, assignments, quizzes, announcements, discussions, and modules.

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@courtney_s_cour 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader conversation, one of our team members suggested using the grading period filter at the top of the Assignments page shown in How do I use the Assignments Index Page? - Canvas Community . If the institution has correctly configured the grading periods, assignments will filter into the applicable grading period based solely on due date.

courtney_s_cour
Community Member

The issue is not on the Assignment course page or the Grade course page - both of those have the drop down menu to sort out the files from other marking periods. 

the issue is buried in the instructor side of things -

I only have MP2 grades showing in my gradebook, but when I sync to SIS, ALL of the assignments show up and I have to manually filter out assignments from MP1 so only MP2 assignments will sync. (And they are not necessarily listed alphabetical - and definitely not by due date)

We also have to scroll through ALL of the files to link them in a page. There is no option to filter out previous marking period work when building a new page/assignment, etc.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@courtney_s_cour Thanks for that clarification. The grade sync portion of your request is currently the topic of discussion at Allow Grade Sync by Grading Period - Canvas Community 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@courtney_s_cour Does the existing idea, Allow Grade Sync by Grading Period - Canvas Community , essentially encompass what you're hoping to see implemented? If so, we can merge your idea into the comments section of that idea, as that would unify the discussions and help both our members and product teams evaluate all of the feedback around the request in one spot. Just let us know!

courtney_s_cour
Community Member

no, that was only part of the issue.

The other part is the long lists within the Links tab when building a page/assignment, etc. Everything from all the Marking periods shows up and you have to scroll through a long list to find what you need. 

courtney_s_cour_0-1608234616099.png

The links lists show everything for the entire year long course. And some of those lists (Pages & Assignments) can get REALLY long

courtney_s_cour_1-1608234696102.png

It would be nice if we could have some sort of filing system built in for these areas - like what is there for Files and Images

courtney_s_cour_3-1608235223760.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@courtney_s_cour 

Thank you for clarifying this. Now that we've had a chance to evaluate the entirety of the request, it sounds like your idea contains numerous different suggestions—and the screenshot you've provided indicates that your organization has not yet switched to the new Rich Content Editor (RCE). The new RCE will become the only RCE available to users in mid-January 2021.

Once you've started using the new RCE, please consider adding your support to Easy search for course links. We'll archive this idea to keep all the other conversation threads from breaking off, and encourage you to read How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singularly-focused idea prompts after searching this forum for existing ideas that align with what you're hoping to see implemented.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived