Organizing how courses appear in All Courses

0 Likes
(1)

I wish there were a way of organizing All Courses

I work with multiple instructors which means I am added to either their sandboxes or courses or even both their sandboxes and courses. I deal with courses that are taught both asynchronously and synchronous, each taught by different instructors, with both methods used in a semester. For me this means I have multiples of some courses every semester.

Would you consider creating a better way to organize the courses than what is currently used when you click on All Courses.

It would be nice to be able to create "folders". I would love to create folders where I can group the courses by course names or group all the sandboxes in one place. Having to scroooooool down a long list of courses is disheartening but mostly annoying.

I love Canvas Please come up with a better way for those of us who have work with multiple courses can  organize the courses and thereby find them...........

PS I do "star" the courses I will be using the semester but there is limit to what shows up on the Dashboard ---- doing this every semester is tedious.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @ll846 -

I did a quick search, and there's an idea that would help you keep your All Courses list more organized. Make the course list sortable While the initial idea doesn't mention folders, many of the comments from other Community members do.

I found a related idea that would make it possible to use folders on the Dashboard. While it was written with K6 in mind, it could be very helpful for coaches! Dashboard Organization 

Thank you for taking the time to share your idea!

ll846
Community Member
Author

I know about this topic/comment......I wrote it. 

This is the second email response I received from KristinL (Community Team) and neither one was any help. I tried to reply to the first email I received but the delivery status was a failure, therefore I will do so here:

Hi KristinL(Community Team)

What was the purpose of this reply to my topic/comment submission?

I clicked on the links that you provided thinking that I would see instructions on how to MAKE THE COURSE LIST SORTABLE and ORGANIZE THE DASHBOARD, all I read were comments from others expressing the same problem I’m having or giving their opinion on what should be integrated into Canvas to make it work and help resolve the problem.

What I gather from this reply is that this issue has been presented to Instructure for a while now (years) and there doesn’t seem to be a resolution in the works. It would have been nice to see a response from someone in Instructure/Canvas stating that they were at least working on it.

Love working with Canvas but don’t love the customer service…………………

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @ll846 -

I'm sorry that you did not find my replies helpful. I try to connect Community Members to resources and make sure that authors see how they can connect into different parts of the Community. Sometimes the Community Team can share a lesson or how-to, and other times, we link to ideas that are open for conversation.

With our Idea process, the Community Team looks at each idea that Community Members share. To remove duplicates from our searches, we link to already-existing ideas so conversations are unified. This makes it easier for Community Members to share their opinions and for Project Managers to find comments that help them develop future features and enhancements. (If we misunderstood, we can always edit an idea so it's clear why it needs to stand on its own!)

Each Idea that is generated is important to the development process. Sometimes these requests fit well into the plans and are included on the Road Map, but other times, it takes longer (at times, a lot longer) for a request to fit into the scope of the projects that are active in an upcoming quarter. Please know that every idea is seen by multiple Instructure Employees and tagged appropriately so they appear in searches.

These lessons will explain the process for Ideas and how the overall development process works at Instructure:

How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?

What is the feature development process for Instructure products? 

I hope you continue to share your ideas!