Override Late Policy in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16).

Currently, teachers must go to the Gradebook to override an automatic deduction due to a student submission being late.  It would be more convenient if a teacher could override the late deduction while grading in Speedgrader. late policy‌ newgradebook‌

Current Speedgrader View (No option to edit/override):

309787_pastedImage_1.png

67 Comments
Garry_Daly
Community Member

I would also like to see this problem fixed in Canvas.  I do not understand the thought process Canvas has taken on this issue as I believe this is a bug in the design of the speedgrader feature.

brynnspitzer
Community Novice

Speedgrader should have the option of applying the late, excused, not late statuses. It is a pain to go back to the gradebook when I want to change the status of a student's assignment.

lalamillo5
Community Member

I would also like to be able to change the status, such as "late" in speed grader.  There are some assignments that are not late, but a resubmission that I allowed.  But in order to take the "late" status off there are so many screens and clicks!

bontomasin
Community Explorer

Absolutely a need. As Canvas is working with more and more k-12 institutions it is valuable to recognize that we are grading more assignment and more often than college professors. The amount of clicking and page changes is excessive. 

hlambright615
Community Member

I agree this completely needs to be done and sooner rather than later.

ctarbet
Community Explorer

Another vote from me.

1. Change Assignment Status in SpeedGrader
  2. Automatically remove late penalty on regrading (resubmission)
sallycharris
Community Explorer

Yes, please add this feature to override the late policy from Speedgrader, as well as override the missing policy from Speedgrader. 

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

Yes!  Please provide this function ASAP!

bbattiste
Community Explorer

👏👏Add to this issue the need to accept the resubmission score to mark the submission as "graded." When I click on the resubmission link, points automatically get deducted because the assignment is now technically 'late,' even though I ask students to resubmit work all the time (normally after the deadline). Then I have to go into the gradebook to mark the assignment as 'on time.' These options could and should added to speedgrader like the poster suggests. Thanks!

debbiecarlston
Community Member

I agree!