Override Late Policy in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16).

Currently, teachers must go to the Gradebook to override an automatic deduction due to a student submission being late.  It would be more convenient if a teacher could override the late deduction while grading in Speedgrader. late policy‌ newgradebook‌

Current Speedgrader View (No option to edit/override):

309787_pastedImage_1.png

67 Comments
Correen
Community Member

please

PLEASE

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

This is infuriating.

kmclean2
Community Member

PLEASE implement this.  The phrase "crying need" springs to mind.  This is long overdue.

pralston
Community Novice

Having this functionality would be beneficial. 

robert_machol
Community Novice

Ditto.

The people have spoken! 

mlion
Community Explorer

Canvas considers an assignment late if it's more than a few minutes late, and includes weekends and holidays in the number of days late. This is very frustrating for me as a teacher, and I know it creates a lot of unnecessary conflict and anxiety for my students and their families.  It's definitely helpful to know the number of days late for late assignments, but not if the parameters are inflexible and require constant adjustment. 

sholleykline
Community Explorer

Seconding—this would things MUCH easier especially during COVID times, when everyone's excused absences are multiplying.

elizabetha_mosl
Community Explorer

This is a really needed feature.  It's dumb that I can't just indicate that an assignment is NOT late in Speedgrader.  I love the ability for late percentages or points to be automatically calculated, but we need the ability to override this feature in an easy way.  Having to go through the Grades page is a huge hassle.

paulbui
Community Member

Here's a workaround userscript that'll add a status override dropdown:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Userscript-to-add-status-modification-to-speedgr...

bbattiste
Community Explorer

@paulbui  Thank you!🙌

elizabetha_mosl
Community Explorer

@paulbui You're the bomb.  This is just what I needed.  Thank you!!