cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override Late Policy in Speedgrader

Override Late Policy in Speedgrader

(20)

Currently, teachers must go to the Gradebook to override an automatic deduction due to a student submission being late.  It would be more convenient if a teacher could override the late deduction while grading in Speedgrader. late policy‌ newgradebook‌

Current Speedgrader View (No option to edit/override):

309787_pastedImage_1.png

47 Comments
Correen
Surveyor II

please

PLEASE

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

This is infuriating.

kmclean2
Surveyor

PLEASE implement this.  The phrase "crying need" springs to mind.  This is long overdue.

pralston
Surveyor

Having this functionality would be beneficial. 

robert_machol
Surveyor

Ditto.

The people have spoken! 

mlion
Surveyor

Canvas considers an assignment late if it's more than a few minutes late, and includes weekends and holidays in the number of days late. This is very frustrating for me as a teacher, and I know it creates a lot of unnecessary conflict and anxiety for my students and their families.  It's definitely helpful to know the number of days late for late assignments, but not if the parameters are inflexible and require constant adjustment. 

sholleykline
Surveyor II

Seconding—this would things MUCH easier especially during COVID times, when everyone's excused absences are multiplying.

elizabetha_mosl
Surveyor

This is a really needed feature.  It's dumb that I can't just indicate that an assignment is NOT late in Speedgrader.  I love the ability for late percentages or points to be automatically calculated, but we need the ability to override this feature in an easy way.  Having to go through the Grades page is a huge hassle.

paulbui
Surveyor II

Here's a workaround userscript that'll add a status override dropdown:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Userscript-to-add-status-modification-to-speedgr...

bbattiste
Surveyor

@paulbui  Thank you!🙌

elizabetha_mosl
Surveyor

@paulbui You're the bomb.  This is just what I needed.  Thank you!!

ctarbet
Surveyor II

@paulbui Quick install and working so far, thanks!

jamin_hoffman
Surveyor II

Unfortunately, when I installed this I was no longer able to access my "Files" through the menu (the list was blank), so I deleted the Tampermonkey extension, and I was able to see my "Files" again.  I tried reinstalling it on a later date, using a different server (school vs. home), but had the same problem, so I deleted it again, and have not reinstalled it.  Access to my "Files" is more important to me!

Did anyone else have this issue?

cdlee
Surveyor II

This is needed - it is a hassle in the web-based speedgrader to un-late-ify something, but it isn't even possible is using the Canvas Teacher app.  

monroej
Surveyor

I would also like to be able to exclude specific students from the late and/or missing policies in Canvas. (Example: a student with a 504 for whom late work deductions cannot occur should be always excluded from the late work policy)

elizabetha_mosl
Surveyor

Totally agree with monroej.  We should be able to exclude certain students from the late/missing policy.

lpfister
Surveyor II

This is so ridiculous. I submitted this same idea three years ago but of course nothing came of it. It is such a pain to have to go back-and-forth between Speedgrader and the gradebook. If I can see the late penalty, why can I not remove it??

nfullmer
Surveyor

I do like the automatic late penalty option, but sometimes I hate it- and this is why.

I wish there was a way to override the late penalty for individual students right in speedgrader.  Currently, after grading the assignment, I have to click out of speedgrader into "Grades", look for the specific assignment, click on the student's name and click "none".  That's too many steps!

Also, sometimes I want specific assignments to not have an automatic late penalty.  I wish there was a way to select some assignments that can opt out of the late penalty.  

Lastly, I wish there was an option for the incremental late penalty to be set on "weekly" instead of "daily".

Thank you!

mcdermidk
Surveyor

Add in my vote - in general, any time Canvas displays some setting or parameter, it should be at least clickable to a popup to adjust that setting (or spawn a new tab to that specific setting's page.)

kstratford
Surveyor

When having automatic late days deductions the only place to change the late days is in the gradebook. It would be nice if you could alter this amount when grading in speed grader for things like people who don't count weekends or need to change the amount of days late due to IEPs, etc.

TylerWilson
Surveyor

Adding the ability to add/remove/adjust late penalties within the SpeedGrader tool would be awesome!