Override Late Policy in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16).

Currently, teachers must go to the Gradebook to override an automatic deduction due to a student submission being late.  It would be more convenient if a teacher could override the late deduction while grading in Speedgrader. late policy‌ newgradebook‌

Current Speedgrader View (No option to edit/override):

309787_pastedImage_1.png

67 Comments
ctarbet
Community Explorer

@paulbui Quick install and working so far, thanks!

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

Unfortunately, when I installed this I was no longer able to access my "Files" through the menu (the list was blank), so I deleted the Tampermonkey extension, and I was able to see my "Files" again.  I tried reinstalling it on a later date, using a different server (school vs. home), but had the same problem, so I deleted it again, and have not reinstalled it.  Access to my "Files" is more important to me!

Did anyone else have this issue?

cdlee
Community Explorer

This is needed - it is a hassle in the web-based speedgrader to un-late-ify something, but it isn't even possible is using the Canvas Teacher app.  

monroej
Community Member

I would also like to be able to exclude specific students from the late and/or missing policies in Canvas. (Example: a student with a 504 for whom late work deductions cannot occur should be always excluded from the late work policy)

elizabetha_mosl
Community Explorer

Totally agree with monroej.  We should be able to exclude certain students from the late/missing policy.

lpfister
Community Member

This is so ridiculous. I submitted this same idea three years ago but of course nothing came of it. It is such a pain to have to go back-and-forth between Speedgrader and the gradebook. If I can see the late penalty, why can I not remove it??

nfullmer
Community Member

I do like the automatic late penalty option, but sometimes I hate it- and this is why.

I wish there was a way to override the late penalty for individual students right in speedgrader.  Currently, after grading the assignment, I have to click out of speedgrader into "Grades", look for the specific assignment, click on the student's name and click "none".  That's too many steps!

Also, sometimes I want specific assignments to not have an automatic late penalty.  I wish there was a way to select some assignments that can opt out of the late penalty.  

Lastly, I wish there was an option for the incremental late penalty to be set on "weekly" instead of "daily".

Thank you!

mcdermidk
Community Novice

Add in my vote - in general, any time Canvas displays some setting or parameter, it should be at least clickable to a popup to adjust that setting (or spawn a new tab to that specific setting's page.)

kstratford
Community Member

When having automatic late days deductions the only place to change the late days is in the gradebook. It would be nice if you could alter this amount when grading in speed grader for things like people who don't count weekends or need to change the amount of days late due to IEPs, etc.

TylerWilson
Community Novice

Adding the ability to add/remove/adjust late penalties within the SpeedGrader tool would be awesome!