Override final grade

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be convenient if instructors could override the calculated final grade. Many faculty use the gradebook export to send grades to the student information system and there are sometimes factors in determining a final grade that are based on the discretion of the instructor.

This idea has been added to our product plan for Q1 2019 and will influence development within Canvas. To find more information about this idea’s related priority, please follow Priority: Gradebook Enhancements

:smileyinfo: Adding this idea to our product plan means we will be working on it, but it does not guarantee that it will be developed exactly as defined by the idea, or that it will be added to the production environment.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-02-16) .

104 Comments
garth
Community Champion

I am working with a Nursing department, which takes into consideration a subjective and an objective grading scheme.  There are multiple criteria for passing a class, failing in one area means failing the class.  The standard grading scheme currently available in Canvas does not handle the strategy used in this program.  I understand Canvas' statements, wanting to maintain transparency, however as stated Eva Shay this type of grading strategy is outlined in great detail in the program literature as well as the course syllabus, students are very aware of how their final grades are calculated.  Also, if students do not agree or do not understand why they received a specific grade, they can easily ask for clarification.

The Canvas grading schemes are very good at handling common grading strategies, and extra credit / fudge points take care of most scenarios, but there is a need for this feature.

eshay
Community Explorer

@garth ​

Thank you for your comment.

The more I ponder on this topic, the more I am convinced that what is needed is an "Adjusted Final Grade" column AS WELL AS the "IF-Then" capabilities I mentioned in my first comment.  They BOTH would make grading for us SO much easier; not to mention that the final grade could actually be correctly posted.

This past semester, for one student who failed the written portion of the course,  I had to change all of the written scores to a "0" in Canvas, and then wrote the actual scores in the notes section for those scores.  What I have to do now to achieve the adjusted final grade for some students is not only no longer transparent, and required an in depth email to them to explain the change, but I actually have to create false grades in the record.  I'm sorry, but this goes against my ethics and the medical standard of "never falsify a medical record", or in this case, a student's scores.  This certainly does not accomplish the straight forward transparency that I believe Canvas is trying to achieve.

Sorry, just a little passionate on the issue.  🙂

Eva Shay, D.O.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Please stay true to the current design of the overall grade column.  I believe the grading should be completed at the assignment level or a rule for weighting groups (i.e. must be higher than xx% to count/ pass).  Should there be a need to improve the grading interface for unusual circumstance do so therein. 

Let's not solve one problem and create countless others in the process by making the final grade column an editable field.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development

Thank you for all of your feedback.  This idea is now in development.  

eshay
Community Explorer

Yeah Cheers!!!  I’ve told our faculty and they are very pleased!

Thank you!

Eva B. Shay, D.O.

Assistant Professor, Osteopathic Principles & Practice

OMS2 OP&P Course Director

William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

Any timeline on this?  Adjusting the final grade is really something our faculty are used to with all the systems we've had.  I cringe next week when grades are due and they realize this isn't possible in this system.  Thanks.

eshay
Community Explorer

Agreed, any timeline on this feature?

Thank you

cohenf
Community Participant

Yep. Would like to be able to do this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @eshay ​

No update on timeline at this point...  sorry