PDF viewer for testing on one side, answer column on the other

0 Likes

I have many tests that I have created before I had Canvas.  It is a HUGE pain to re-write every single question into the quiz section and every answer possibility. It would be very helpful if I could upload the PDF file of the original test that would appear on one side of the screen and then students could select the correct answers for multiple choice or answer essay questions on the other side of the screen while still viewing the PDF preview. Mastery Connect has had this option for years. While Canvas is much more user friendly than Mastery-Connect in other ways, it is still very much lacking in this highly convenient option when adding assessments.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@kdebry 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Part of this is already possible by using the Stimulus item type in New Quizzes: How do I insert stimulus content in New Quizzes? 

The piece that is still missing is the ability to embed a PDF in the text editor, and that idea is currently the subject of discussion at New Quizzes - RCE to match Canvas.

Our developers are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated some time next year, so we've archived this idea. Please add your comments to the existing conversation as that will help keep the thread unified in one spot. 

And if you'd like to start using New Quizzes in a live or sandbox course, the resources in the New Quizzes User Group will help with that. 

Thanks!

kdebry
Community Member

I would like access to New Quizzes, and all it says in the thread sent to me is," All Canvas customers can use New Quizzes. Please contact your Customer Success Manager if you are interested in using New Quizzes."

Who is my Customer Success Manager?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kdebry 

If you aren't able to enable New Quizzes as a feature option in the Settings area of your course, please reach out to the local Canvas admin for your district or university; they will be able to assist you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

...and thanks for letting us know that the language in the FAQ was not clear! We have just updated it to add specificity to the contact methods to be used depending on one's role.